1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Winchester 296 Load Data Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CBirnley, Dec 15, 2013.

1. CBirnley

CBirnley Active Member Supporting Member

I am attempting to load .40 cal S&W 165 grain flat nose/point bullets and cannot find load data in any of my manuals or online regarding Winchester 296.

Could someone please advise on a source for this information.
  2. AR guy

AR guy Member

I found this at another forum, how true it is I don't know, but someone will agree or disagree.

Winchester 296/Hogdon H110 is a powder which cannot and must not be used for light metallic cartridge loads! It is suitable only for full power magnum handgun loads and .30 Carbine loads. W296 is slow burning and needs a case full to ensure complete ignition.

Great powder for the heaviest .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum loads. See if you can trade someone for some HP 38/ W 231, Bulleye or Accurate #2- those are what you need and all are a bit cheaper than W296 so someone may trade.
  3. AR guy

AR guy Member

I found this at another forum, how true it is I don't know, but someone will agree or disagree.

Winchester 296/Hogdon H110 is a powder which cannot and must not be used for light metallic cartridge loads! It is suitable only for full power magnum handgun loads and .30 Carbine loads. W296 is slow burning and needs a case full to ensure complete ignition.

Great powder for the heaviest .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum loads.
  4. lcn

lcn Member

I rather doubt you will find any data for W296 powder for use in the 40 S&W. I have only used it in 357 mag. along time ago. Winchester recommends NO reduced loads for use of their 296 powder. To me this means that anything but nearly a full case of powder does not light well and produces incomplete powder burn. So unless you can fill up the case without exceding preasure limits for the firearm it can't be used.

OOOps if I had known that AR Guy was posting just ahead of me I could have saved myself some typing. Good job AR Guy. Not going to get me to disagree.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. CBirnley

CBirnley Active Member Supporting Member

Wow! Great stuff guys. I should have known better than to listen to the guy at the gun shop. Buyer beware.

Thanks again fellas.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yep, 296/H110 is used for magnum pistol, 30 carbine and 410 shotshells.