Winchester 30-30 cartridge

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by perry, Jan 9, 2012.

1. perry

perry New Member

What is the minimum safe length of a empty, resized and trimmed 30-30 Win cartridge?
    Reason for asking I mistakenly trimmed them to 2.004 when the maximum resized trimmed length is listed as 2.040 in the Hornady manual. Should I just scrap them or are they ok to reuse. I should mention they are factory brass I shot once.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

A few thousandths I'm not too concerned with, but .036, that's alot. Were they over length after one firing? I personally would toss them, you've lost alot of area in which the bullet seats and I would worry that you may be at a point where bullet set-back from recoil would be a risk.
    Do I think that if you were to reload them once that you'd be ok, yes, but is it worth a few dollars worth of brass to find out that, nope, I was wrong? NO.
  3. perry

perry New Member

Thanks, their out of here. It was just a stupid mistake.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

perry:

Wait a minute!

The difference in the amount of the bullet in the case is just 0.036 inches by your numbers. But the minimum trim length is 2.029 not 2.040 inches. That means you lost 0.025 inches of case. That's a spark plug gap and is really nothing. You have lost little if any bullet retention capacity of the case's throat, in my opinion. We often move the bullet out of a case to get the bullet almost touching the lands of the barrel more than that.

Where you might have trouble is getting the shorter round to feed through the action but I doubt that. All you can do is load up some dummies and see if you do. Load the bullets such that the crimp groove is used and you will not have a problem of collapsing bullets in the loading tube. You might also might want to revert to a starting load. While some guns like lots of jump to the lands and others like to have the bullets almost touching the barrel's lands, you only find out what the rifle really likes through trial and error.

Now if you want to be totally safe then throw the brass away but I can tell you I would not.

LDBennett
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with LD. You can use that brass with no problems. You will have to adjust your crimp die to get a good crimp on the shorter brass but that's not a big deal.

Also as LD stated, the max case length is 2.040" (2.039" in some books), but the trim-to length is 2.030" (or 2.029"). That 0.025" that you're missing isn't going to make enough of a difference with a bottleneck rifle cartridge to matter except for the crimp.
    The 30-30 headspaces on the rim (or on the datum line of the shoulder if that's how you set your resizing die) and not on the case mouth.
    Now...if this was a straight-walled case, then I'd say you will have to scrap them, but not in a bottleneck case.

I've done the same thing before with .270Win brass. I mistakenly trimmed them to .25-06/.30-06 length (2.484" instead of 2.530", for a difference of 0.046"). I still had enough case neck length to hold the bullet and that lot of brass worked just fine.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

If it were in something accurate, I would say scrap it. 99% of .30-30 are 3 minute rifles anyway. Having that in mind, I doubt you will ever notice the difference. Now, if you did that to your 6ppc,:D:D:D
  7. perry

perry New Member

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
  8. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I have 10 cases that are about 2.015" long and use them regularly with sub-moa accuracy without issue.
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hey Rifleman, glad to see you posting again. Missed your input.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

How many are 2.004 and how many cases do you have total? If you do use them, I'd recommend that you mark them clearly so that you don't mix them up and remember to adjust your crimp between the different size cases.
  11. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Thank you!