winchester 30-30 Golden Spike

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tesa, Jul 11, 2012.

1. tesa

tesa New Member

I have a winchester model 94. 30-30 golden spike commemorative edition rifle. This gun is still in box with all paperwork and spike it has never been shot I was wondering what the value of this gun is
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF. A quick look in one of my books - which says that it is worth about $650. This thread will probably be moved to the proper - What's it worth - forum.
  3. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

Welcome to the exciting world of WINCHESTER® commemoratives

1969 GOLDEN SPIKE CENTENNIAL 30-30 cal. 73619 mfg. $600
    Engraved, Bright gold plated receiver, medallion in stock, 20" round barrel
  4. geds

geds New Member

Welcome to the forum from the Heart of Dixie!
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

This year's edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values gives the NIB value as $550.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was using the 30th edition, if there is that big a difference, I need to get the new edition.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In general, those commemorative guns do not bring big bucks and folks who bought them for an investment have been disappointed. Sometimes, they don't bring any more than the same standard model in the same condition, and only rarely will they bring enough to make up for inflation. I used to say that a good mutual fund would usually be a better investment - I don't say that any more; with the gun, you at least have the something tangible, where mutual funds are down the tubes with nothing to show for the loss.

Jim
  8. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Well-Known Member

I do a search on one of my guns and of course "our place" is the top hit. ;)

I'm happy to see these values, especially what Jim K posted. My father prefers this one as his hunting rifle. As I cleaned it today (it killed a rabbit yesterday), I decided to check if by any chance we've been wasting a gold mine. Apparently not, thankfully. :)
  9. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Most of the Winchester Commemoratives don't carry a lot of value except for sentimental from their owners. Most all if not all of them were built on the post '64 iron framed receivers, yes iron and not steel. The receivers of the post '64 guns were made of steel plated cast iron. Some were plated in other metals to give a distintive appearance to whatever commemorative the represented. In a restructuring and cost cutting move almost all of the Winchester product line was revamped/modified in 1964, the model 94 was no exception.