winchester 30-30 jamming

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hunter29180, Aug 2, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

my son and I took the 30-30 out to sight it in for 150 yds, (average distance around my tree stand to edge of woods) son went up stand first and I handed rifle up to him...when I got up there he was loading the rifle..well attempting anyways....he had the lever in the OPEN position and had actually managed to stick a shell in the magazine...ME not knowing he had already stuck one in, told him to close the lever before loading..he tried to but..you guessed it...couldn't...after 15 min working with it..removing the cap,spring and follower..i got shell out....

Now the action jams up even when empty..(dont want to open) hangs just when the bolt contacts the hammer..and as the shell enters the bore it jamms again..

so the question is this..what parts should i be looking at? this will be the first time I have completly took down a lever action so be kind..I do have a parts diagram to look at. and I have watches several vidios of the take down on u-tube...would rate my experience in this matter as ..BEGINNER..

or should I just bite the "Bullet" and take to a repair shop?:eek:
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

It sounds like he may have bent the loading gate. when this happens its in the path of the carrier. the carrier gets bound up on it, it will lock the lever. make sure the loading gate is on the inside of the receiver but flat up against it. the ears on the gate should be touching the loading port. make sue the loading gate screw is tight too. it sits about an inch to the right of the port.
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Thanks Helix FR! it was bent just enough to do that, got it straightned out and reinstalled and the only thing I can feel is just a bit of a drag at the last part of the closing of the bolt..only with a shell being chambered..would this be the ejectors fully enguaging? or should i be looking for another bent piece?

also should i replace the loading gate or will it be ok?

wifes question here also..she wants to know if the Rifleman lever would be able to replace the stock lever on this? shes thinking for use with gloves during cold weather..

its a post 64 series ser# begining 3235.

thanks for allowing me to pick your knowlege in these areas!
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

What you may be feeling is the bolt lock engaging in the back. Perfectly normal. Yes you can get rifleman levers or large loops.