Winchester 37a loose stock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Firefightercook, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Firefightercook

Firefightercook New Member

Does anyone know what size the bolt is in the stock. I have tried everything to tighten it up. Thanks
  2. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Try taking it out & adding a washer.
    If you mean what size wrench to use i think it's a slotted bolt head, Takes a long fairly large screwdriver-
  3. Firefightercook

It's not a screw it's some weird size bolt?? I can't get any sockets on it
  4. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Shine a flashlite down the hole- I think you'll see it IS a bolt but has a slot for a screwdriver--Also the head is most likely countersunk so no socket will go on it- Who thought up that design :confused:
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Have you tried a screwdriver? If you don't have one long enough, try the pointed end of your car's lug nut wrench.

Jim
  6. Firefightercook

No it's just a bolt
  7. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Well- its got to be standard or metric then-
    New on on me :confused:
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Mine takes a 7/16" socket on a 6" extension.

Attached Files:

9. Firefightercook

Maybe mine is stripped cause I tried av7/16
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Cam you see it with a flashlight?
  11. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

It's a screw, not a bolt, a wrench or any size won't fit it. It's a slotted fillster head screw 1/4 x 28 about six inches long. to remove or tighten the screw you need a common screwdriver at least six inches long with a large blade and it must be fitted into the slot before turning or otherwise wood damage can result.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That was my recollection, but I wonder if the screw/bolt that is in there now is original. Those stock bolts are not usually available locally, so folks sometimes use what is available, including auto parts, dry wall screws, self-tapping screws, etc.

I would try to get it out, using any available tools, then go from there to get the right part and also see if the threads in the receiver are OK.

Jim
  13. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

And you know this how?
    The pic I posted is a bolt, on my own Winchester model 37A. Be it stock or aftermarket I wouldn't know, but I certainly don't have a crystal ball to see into his.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It has been a while since I had one of those apart, but I definitely recall that it is round (filister) head bolt* with a straight slot. To refresh my memory, I checked the diagram in Gun Parts catalog, and that is the case.

Fuzebox40, I don't think the "bolt" you picture is original.

*Some folks call anything with a screw driver type head (slot, Phillips, Torx) a "screw" and anything with a square or hex head a "bolt", but most stock retainers like that are called "bolts" regardless of the type of head.

Jim
  15. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I don't doubt it Jim, the hex head was with it but the gun was in disrepair as I received it.
    The fillister bolts are a bad idea anyway, often a hastle getting them out.
  16. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I am with Jim on this :thumbsup:
    I checked all the parts books and they ALL Show it is round with a slot in it.The 37A bolt does look the same as the 37 although the pic for the 37A is harder to see the end.
    Mike
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012