Winchester .44/.40

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by oelantz, Jul 14, 2011.

1. oelantz

oelantz New Member

Hello, new to the forum, but here goes. I have a winchester model 1873 44/40. I had it appraised by an antique firearms dealer here in Houston Texas, said that the gun had been blued, decreasing the value saying it was worth 800.00 dollars the he would give me or a great piece of American History that I could hold on to. Took it to another gunshop in town and the gunsmith was in total awe of the gun, stating if it had not been re-blued it be worth 10,000.00. That gun shop does not buy antique guns, but I asked him what was a fair price, he stated a fair collector would pay about 3000.00. All I know about the gun is that it was my father's and sat above the fireplace for years. Looking to sell the gun but want a fair price. I know in researching, it has been blued, missing the dust cover, has a fireable barrell, barrell is octagonal, 24 inches long, indicitive of a first model. Any suggestions?? The only makeable markings are on the barrel, repeating firearms, new haven conn u.s.a. improvement patented march 29 1866. october16,1860. the other marking model 1873 behind the hammer. Thanks for any help.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

No way to even give a good estimate without good qualilty pictures (no blurry cell phoe pics, please). Show us both sides of the receiver and the top and bottom, the barrel markings, the muzzle and the buttstock and buttplate.

Rebluing of an 1873 (or any collector firearm) will reduce the value significantly, as will missing parts. The barrel condition is important, too, and "fireable" can mean just about anything from pristine to a sewer pipe.

Jim
  3. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

We could use the serial number too.
  4. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

The first guy (the antique firearms dealer) was much closer to to the real value.

Since both the dealer and the gunsmith were able to identify it as a "reblued" gun, that tells me that the work done to it was not a high quality job. The gunsmith apparently does not understand what happens to the value of an old Winchester when they have been refinished. The $3K value he mentioned is way out of line with what the gun is actually worth.

All that said, if you can post several pictures of the gun, I can provide you with a realistic value.

Bert H.
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

you need a little guy gunsmith who knows what hes doing. every re do drops the value . wish it was mine no matter the condition. Nice story to go with it too Maybe keeping it is a great option.