Winchester 52 E Discussion

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Jake's, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Jake's

Jake's New Member

Hi all!

I am purchasing a Winchester 52 (i think model "E").
    Please real this link:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=44214

But I basically need to know - is this anny good? Does someone have experience with this sort of rifle? I am verry impressed with the trigger. less than 10 grams breaking power. Heavy rifle but nice otherwise.

Anny info?

Regards

Jake's
  2. dokey

dokey New Member

I have a 1962 52-D with a leupold 36x scope that on a good day will shoot dime size groups at 100 yds with federal champion ammo. I also have an H&R 12 and an Anschutz match 64 set up the same way that will equal or best the 52 with the champion ammo
  3. dokey

dokey New Member

The difference between the 52 -D and E is the E has the receiver tapped for scope mounts, and the muzzle end is recessed about a quarter inch, whereas the D's muzzle is flush
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I would like to add that I believe there is
    a small recoil lug under the reciever attached by a screw. Some believe the barrels are hammer forged on the E models, although I have not be able to confirm if that is true. Basically an E is a slightly worked over D model. Dokey, try some better ammo, and I bet that the 52D you have might be your best rifle. SK rifle match,Wolf match extra, Lapua Midas L, or good old tenex from Eley.:p;):D They cost more but there is a reason for that. Jakes, the holes for the barrel mounted scope are original to your rifle, and if it were mine I would use these, as I like the old long target scopes, as they bend the light less and I think they have less eye strain than reciever mounted scopes...I'm a bit old school here.:D Your rifle is an "E" if the serial number ends with the letter E. If it had the original stock, if would be worth more, but as a shooter it looks great to me.;):D Best reguards Kirk
  5. ultramag44

ultramag44 New Member

The "E" will be a prefix, not a suffix. The letter being a prefix was a mandate of the GCA of 1968.

There are several features of E guns that are different from D guns. BUT, not all the changes were applied @ once. Stocks of D parts, like un-counter bored barrels, wood stocks, etc, were used untill depleted. Early E's were polished, very late guns were dull finished. Some E's were not D&T'ed on top of the receiver, but most were. Some E's were fitted with side bases for a receiver sight, barrel blocks and a front sight block. Others were D&T'ed for ALL the sight options, but not fitted with blocks, mounts etc.

My E is D&T'ed for ALL the sight options, but not factory fitted with blocks, mounts etc (threaded plugs are in all the holes). The muzzle is counter bored, highly polished finish, Marksman stock. The stock has the 2 tuning screws in the front.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  6. Jake's

Jake's New Member

To everybody who contributed to this thread - thank you very much! It has taken 4 Years... BUT.. I finally have my firearm licence and will be shooting this beauty in a few days! If there is any pointers about tuning or ammo anyone would like to add, please feel free as I am entering virgin territory with this rifle.