1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Winchester 52E Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Garryg3, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Garryg3

Garryg3 New Member

I have inherited a Winchester 52-22L rifle and would like to find out what it might be worth. From the serial number, E124539, and researching a variety of web sites I assume it is an E series, which was produced in limited numbers. It is a single shot with what I assume is a composite stock rather that the wood stocks I found on all the postings. I do not know whether this means that the stock is original or not. The trigger assembly is marked Keyon. There are a couple of small spots of surface rust on the barrel. They look like they could easily be removed and the barrel re-blued. Everything else appears to be in very good shape. Any information on the guns age and possible value would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Garryg3,

You have a very desirable rifle that unfortunately has been modified by the previous owner. It should have a wood stock and a 27" barrel to be original. These were the last of the 52's produced, circa 1975-80 and original ones are bringing $1800 or more and the price is rising for good clean originals. There are some theads at Rimfire Central .com that you should look up on these....Your gun is going to be a fine shooter and at this point you might consider just enjoying and shooting it as that. As far as a value, it's really up to you and a buyer. If it were mine, and the gun you picture, wouldn't take less than $1000. But I would shoot it and find out how well it does. I hope this helps. Best reguards Kirk
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Garry.....welcome to TFF. :)

The Blue Book lists the Model 52-E as the "International Prone" and describes it as "similar to 52-D with prone stock, removable roll over cheekpiece. Mfg. 1975-1980."

It also states: "After 1975 rifles started appearing with an "E" serial prefix. Both Model 52 International and Prone could have factory stocks that were not Winchester mfg." No mention of a composite stock, so I surmise that's aftermarket.

As to the rest....definitely made from 1975 to 1980....and I agree with Kirk 100%. The Model 52 is one of the finest American-made target .22s. Hang on to it, shoot it a bunch, and have a ball! :D
  4. Garryg3

Garryg3 New Member

Thanks for the information. The previous owner was into competition of all sorts, pistol, rifle, bow & darts. He was a member of the US Olympic Free Pistol team in 1980 - the boycotted Olympics. Most of his guns were modified in one way or another to meet his needs so he probably was the one to modify the stock. I shot rifle in college but that was more moons ago than I care to remember. I think they gave me my varsity letter out of pity. Somewhere out there I am sure there is someone who's needs could be met by this rifle. Now that I have an idea of its worth I just need to find them. Thanks again.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

If the 52-E were virginal, the stock would be an AL Freeland built, laminated stock, built for Winchester.
    The Kenyon trigger (Not keyon), and the composite stock, might well make it a better shooter, but at the expense of value, of the rifle. An unmolested International Match would approach 5K$, in my market, but yours would work hard, to fetch $1250,IMHO, here.
  6. Jake's

Jake's New Member

Hi Guys

I have been searching my ass off for info.
    I'm on the verge of buying a Winchester model 52 serial number E12465X.
    The previous owner realy did a job on the rifle - spraypainting the stock, drilling holes in the barrel for fitting a massive scope and removing the accessory rail. Can annyone give me more info on this rifle or maybe a review of how it should shoot?

Regards
    Jake's
  7. Jake's

Jake's New Member

Here is a picture of the rifle.

Jake's

Attached Files:

• WIN1.jpg
      WIN1.jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
  8. RioJess

RioJess New Member

9. RioJess

RioJess New Member

Hi Jake's

Are you interested in selling your Winchester?

Thanks,

Jess
  10. Jake's

Jake's New Member

Hi All - It's been 3 years - and thanks to the South African Police now de-arming citizens I have not been granted a licence... 3 years!! Absurd. Either way - If someone is interested in purchasing this rifle - contact me as it is only incurring storage costs.. I'll even swop for a ipad or something that cannot be licensed in South Africa...

Cheers

(Ps: if this is the wrong forum - jut let me know and i'll move the post)
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jake's,
    Welcome back to the forum.
    My heartfelt condolences on the state of affairs in your country.
  12. Jake's

Jake's New Member

To Jim and everyone that contributed, after 4 years I finally have a licence for a 22. Imagine how long a .308 would take! haha. Will be shooting the rifle in a few days, finally!
    Thanks all!
  13. cbrock

cbrock New Member

Good morning, Re: the Win 52E described. The original barrel would have been 28", and would have also been drilled and tapped for scope bases. Some 52E's had the typical 52 muzzle crown, others had a crown that was essentially a 1/2" counterbore about 3/8" deep. Most receivers were also drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The bolt handle could be round, as on Cs and Ds, or flat. The Kenyon trigger is I feel the most desirable trigger offered on the Internationals, absolutely fantastic. The E came in at least 3 different stocks. An Al Freeland made laminated International Stock, a Prone Stock, also made by Freeland, and the Winchester Marksman Stock. Marksman Stock, same as on the 52D, those, I believe, may or may not have a rear sling swivel. Seems, without, is more sought after. In any case all the Win 52Es that I've heard of shoot very, very well. Add to this, their desirability, and you have a winner. I have 2, and I love both. One in the Marksman Stock, the other in an International Stock, with that same Kenyon Trigger. The Marksman I paid just over $1000. The International many times that, I probably over paid for the International. But with the Marksman I feel I got at a huge bargain. It seems that a fair amount of Es are sold, some by folks that could place a much higher price on them. Others, the Internationals and Prones are often overpriced. Just, I guess caused by supply and demand and not really that much knowledge of the 52Es held by the general public. If you, or anyone, chose to sell an E, taking time to reach an interested an educated market should assure that you received a decent sum for the rifle. As I said, in any case you have a great rifle, and should you try to put it back into original shape, International and E style Marksman Stocks do show up for sale. One thing, DON"T sell that Kenyon Trigger! Good Luck and Cheers, Charles