Winchester 61 Gallery

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rusty37874, Aug 28, 2009.

1. rusty37874

rusty37874 New Member

I would like to get the input of the forum members on their experienceses with the Winchester Model 61 Gallery in .22 short. I have seen a number of 62, & 62A Gallery Models, but I recently had a chance to inspect a 61 with the "Winchester" roll stamp on the left side of the reciever.

I was wondering how common, or uncommon these are?
  2. khusson1

khusson1 New Member

Winchester Model 61 .22 Long R.

My father in law is trying to sell his father's Model 61. Whats this thing worth guys? Im getting dollar amounts all over the place. Octogon barrel, short stock, etc.

Thanks for the imput. Here are some pics

Attached Files:

3. khusson1

khusson1 New Member

Re: Winchester Model 61 .22 Long R.

some more...

Attached Files:

4. khusson1

khusson1 New Member

the blue book for guns that Gander Mountain has says the .22 short is the raresst one
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have messed with Winchesters most of my life and while I don't consider myself an expert I would make an educated guess that your gun should bring somewhere in the $1500 to $2000 range. If I had the money I would offer you $1500 for it.

Ron
  6. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Rusty,

The Winchester model 61 with the "WINCHESTER" roll mark is definitely scarce and on the rare side.
    Is the loading port in the magazine tube the shape of a 22 Short cartridge or is it triangular shaped? The cartridge shaped version I think is called the Sporting version and the triangular shaped model would be more for the shooting gallery loading tubes and thus called the Gallerey version.
    Another factor in value is when it was made. I think the pre WW2 models would be worth a little more than the later models. Round barrel or octagon?
    And certainly condition and if all original.
    My guess would be in the $1500 to $3000 range. The higher number for an early model with the short fore end, octagon barrel, all original and 90% or better condition. (That would be a gun that would look at home with some of my 61's.)
    Lower number for a later gun with considerable blue and wood finish loss but still all original.
    Hope this helps.
    And if you have some pictures to share, sure would like to see them.
    Jolly
  7. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

khusson1,

Your father-in-laws father has a fine looking model 61. I think the realistic price range judging from your pictures would be about what muddober estimates: $1500 - $2000. You would have to find the right buyer tho for the higher price.

Similar guns on some of the internet sites are this high and higher but things have definitely slowed down do to market conditions, etc. Not quite as many people willing to shell out a bunch of $$ as there were a couple years ago.

Depending on what you're looking to get for the gun, I might be a potential buyer. You can send me a note thru my profile or put a reply here.
    Do you have a price in mind?
    Can you post a couple close up pictures of both sides of the receiver?
    Hope this helps.
    Nice looking gun.
    Jolly
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

Rusty, I might also suggest you go to Google and just type Winchester model 61 gallery gun where you will find some other guns for sale. I always try to keep in mind asking and getting are two different things. That being said your gun is very rare especially with the octogon barrel and your guns conditon from what I see from the pictures puts it in the 85 o 90 percent class as to condition.

Ron