Winchester 74 Question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by papajohn, Aug 26, 2009.

1. papajohn

papajohn New Member

A few months ago I ran across an old Winchester 74 that was sitting in my sister's closet. I recognized it immediately. It used to belong to my uncle and had been sitting there since he died about 30 years ago. It was the gun he let me use when he would take me squirrel hunting and was the first gun I ever shot. In checking around I found it was born the same year I was, 1940, which I understand is the first year Winchester manufactured this gun. Well, I decided to clean her up and try to restore her to a useful life which I have now done. I took her to the range the other day and put 90 rounds through her. On about 4 occasions she would eject a live round in addition to the spent hull. Any ideas what would cause this? I also noticed a lot of play in the trigger. I know this is an inexpensive but is this normal? Thanks for the help.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

No, it is not normal. You can make sure it is completely unloaded, remove the barreled action from the stock, and try flushing the mechanism out with a material like WD-40 {which is primarily highly refined kerosene and paraffinic material that remains as a lubricant and rust preventative} while you frequently cycle the action.

The idea here is to disolve and flush dirt and old congealed oil an hardened grease away while leaving the mechanism with some lubrication.

If such cures your problems, you likely just saved $ 30 to $50 or more as opposed to paying a commercial gun repairer to likely do the same thing. If the problem persists, you neeed the services of a competent repairman.
  3. papajohn

papajohn New Member

Thanks Hammer: I have cleaned it but will try getting a little more thorough with the action. Is the play in the trigger common in this gun or do I need to maybe get a new spring that holds tension on it better?