Winchester 75 question about the stock.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SageBrush, Jun 10, 2010.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush New Member

I have a Winchester Model 75 Target rifle with a stock that is not cut out, or notched, so that one can install the typical Lyman 58E or Redfield 75 receiver sight. Can anyone shed light on this stock profile? Why was it not notched to accept the receiver sight? When did they manufacture this type stock? Why - for scope only rifles? This rifle, based on the serial number, was manufactured in the late 40s.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

IIRC, the Model 75 Target could be ordered with peep sights, but they didn't automatically come with them. If a peep sight was not ordered, the receiver was still drilled and tapped, but the stock was not cut, since the factory couldn't know what sight would be installed and each required a different stock cutout.

It was up to the gunsmith/customer who installed the sight to cut out the stock to match the sight.

Jim
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

For your information...There was a scope sight equipted M75 offered with a Winchester scope at one point. But Jim K is probably right about the lack of the cut. The scoped versions are quite rare.

Regards, Kirk
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush New Member

300 H & H and Jim, Thanks for your explanation(s). This is the first 75 I've seen without the notch cut for the receiver sight. I wanted to put a Redfield 75 receiver sight on it but I'm now reluctant to put the appropriate notch in the stock for the sight base. Guess I'll live with a scoped Winchester Model 75. It currently has a Weaver G4 scope on it. Jim
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is amazing what age and some collector value will do. I cut plenty of stocks for peep sights; it was all part of the gunsmithing business.

Jim