Winchester 94 30 WCF

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Trego, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Trego

Trego New Member

First off, I'm new here. I was googling for information on this Winchester and I came across a link to your site. Who'da thunk there would be a site for shooters and firearms related stuff? I think I could have a good time being here.

I have this Model 94. On the barrel it is stamped 30 WCF. Does anyone know when they started stamping the rifles with 30-30?

This is a 1670xxx serial number which puts it in the 1950 manufacture time frame.

I have another 94 that is a 1957 model and it is stamped 30-30.

I would appreciate any information any of you could give me.

Trego
  2. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

3. Trego

Trego New Member

Thanks for the link, but I already know the date of manufacture.
    I was asking if anyone knew the date or time frame that they started stamping the barrel with 30-30 instead of 30 WCF.

Trego
  4. Goody

Goody Member

I believe it was during 1950, so I guess you have an early 1950 gun.
  5. Trego

Trego New Member

[​IMG]

Thank you for that info.

I did forget to mention that this rifle has some sling swivel mounts on it as well, which in some of the pictures I've seen at various sites is correct? I'd post a picture, 'cept I can't figure out how to do that just yet.

I called the Browning/Winchester shop up in Morgan, Ut, and their historian is out of the office.

Does this marking make the rifle any more or less desirable, or is it the age and condition the is the final vote?

Thanks again.

Trego
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>Does this marking make the rifle any more or less desirable, or is it the age and condition the is the final vote?>

This is just my opinion, but if there were two rifles, in identical condition, and one was marked WCF and the other wasn't, I'd go for the WCF. I think it's cooler. Like I prefer 45 ACP to 45 Auto. Same cartridge, but I just prefer the older nomenclature.

But, if the WCF was ragged out, and the 30/30 was pristine, I'd, regretfully, skip the WCF for the 30/30. Nomenclature is neat, but in the end, condition makes the sale.