Winchester 94 lever action 30/30?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by RugerUser, Nov 23, 2012.

1. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

I recently bought this gun and I got to say it is very nice and low hours. It seems that I have to squeeze the lever fairly hard to get the safety to let the trigger pull all the way. Is this normal to have to squeeze the lever this hard?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

"hard" is very subjective, I would take it down and give it a very good cleaning. it could just be caked up with gunk. There should be a "positive" feel to it, but it shouldn't be difficult to engage the safety.
  3. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

It's more than a positive feel thats for sure, any info on tearing one down because I have yet to tear down a gun and don't want to ruin this one by any means. It is a very nice gun.
  4. olafhardt

olafhardt New Member

Google is your friend for dissasembly instructions.
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

there is a couple of very good videos on you tube covering it. I like the one of the southerner who is now in Mass. or something like that.

can you put a trigger scale on it and see what the pull is? I can check mine that was made in '73
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

7. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Member

I bought one of those with a 24" barrel recently. Had some mods done on it by one of the moderators on here who's also a gun smith. That alleviated the lever/safety issue...that particular safety is deactivated. I considered it superfluous on a lever action. I'm waiting to buy a machine now that will allow me to mod the stock so as to allow a long range sight on it...but I'll tell you, when I get it done it'll be my favorite firearm, even if it's not my semi lol...just looks and feels to good in my hands :).
  8. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

I am no gunsmith by any means but have been thinking seriously about deactivating this part of the safety myself.
  9. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Member

I've gotta say, I much prefer it that way. My Henry .22 and Henry .44 have no safety as such and I really like that. I wasn't familiar with lever action mods (semis are much more my speed), so I got in touch with JLA on this board. Pretty knowledgeable guy.
  10. Throckmorton

Throckmorton New Member

think twice before deactivating that lever safety. I dn't like them either,but..stuff happens.
    IF a finger trips the trigger and drops the hammer before the breech is fully closed,gasses and particles are gonna come blasting out the top,around the bolt.Your face is likely to get plastered with it.
    As I say,I don't like that safety either,but personally I would not disconnect it.
    ymmv
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

RugerUser:

That is not a safety that is optional. It assures that the bolt is fully locked. If the gun is fired without being fully locked, the locking bolts in the rear of the frame do not have enough engagement and can slightly deform the slots in the frame that they run in. (Don't ask how I know that!).

What you need to do is adjust it so that the spring that operates it has less force but enough to assure it protrudes outside the frame every time all the time when the lever is dropped. There may also be some fitting of the parts that may need to be done. That safety blocks the trigger and the engaging parts may need to be adjusted. A good gunsmith can fix it up so that safety is not intrusive at all. But don't disable it or you may ruin the gun and your face.

LDBennett
  12. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I would never even consider modifying the safety on mine. it is after all a SAFETY and they call it that for a reason.

are you having troubles getting the lever all the way up and closing the chamber?
  13. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I have two of them. One from early 70's and the other is the newer model with angle eject. Both guns do not require any additional "squeeze" on the lever to release the safety. You don't even notice it's there, just assume the position and they fire.