The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester 94 Ranger lever action 30/30

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bindernut 
#1 ·
I picked it up the other day and it looks perfect with no scratch's or rust at all. It discharges the brass out of the top. Can anybody tell me the value and age of this gun.

#2 · (Edited)
The 94 Ranger was introduced in 1985 and continued up til the shutdown of the U.S Winchester/USRAAC plant in 2006.
The Ranger is just the "economy" version of the standard 94, and the Ranger name was used on assorted Winchesters like the Model 70 bolt action and the 1300 shotgun as their bargain lineup.
The 94 Ranger featured uncheckered hardwood and a lower gloss finish on the metal.
They're still excellent shooters...internal quality is the same as the other 94s of the "Angle-Eject era" (the 1980s through 2006). We've got one from 1994 that has the 1894-1994 centennial markings on the receiver. I like it even if the wood is a bit uglier than the walnut on the regular models.

Starting in 1992, Winchester added a rather ugly looking cross-bolt safety to the receiver near the hammer. If your rifle has the safety it's post-'92, if it doesn't then it's from '85-'91.

Value seems to depend on the area you're in.
Here in ND, even the Ranger 94s will bring $400 or a bit more. I've seen them sell online and in other parts of the country for more and less though.
I don't have a current Blue Book so I can't tell you what the "book value" is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.