Winchester 94 value ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by crasha51pan, Dec 5, 2009.

1. crasha51pan

crasha51pan New Member

Have fallen on hard times, have had this rifle for maybe 45 years and need to sell it. Problem is "what is it worth" ? Ball park figures ?

Any help will be appreciated....
    Winchester 1894
    Manufactured in 1919
    Saddle ring...
    30-30
    Rem. on top...Win. on bottom.....
    [​IMG]
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

I think a lot of us, me included, have fallen on hard times and values on some guns is going down because so much nice stuff like yours is coming up for sale. The Remington should bring 350 to 500 and the Winchester 750 to a 1000. Please understand that is somewhat of an educated guess. Both guns are very desirable.

Ron
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Muddobber, I am somewhat surprised at your guesstimate on the Winchester, tell me more. I had no idea they were that valueable.

I have the same gun except mine is about 10 years older than the OP's. It was a real cowboy gun that was carried on a horse riding the cattle range in Colorado. It shows the wear and tear on the outside like the one pictured, but has not been fired much. The bore and the inside works are in excellent condition.

What makes these fine old guns desirable? Is it just the age?
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

Not all (post war) model 94 30-30 are worth that kind of money but clean rifles and saddle ring carbines like the one pictured are. If it weren't for lack of bluing on the receiver it would even be worth more. If it were in any other caliber except 32 Winchester special it would be worth even more. The cowboy movies destroyed thousands of these old guns and because of the advent of the bolt action rifle in much more powerful chamberings caused these guns to loose there luster until the last 30 years or so. That all changed when there started to be collectors and not necessarily just shooters interested in the guns. I can remember as a kid seeing 3 model 92 Winchesters welded together made into a lamp that sold for $7.00 each. I can remember a gun shop here in town that had a barrel full of Colt single actions your pick for $10.00 and today it does not take much of an old Colt to be worth a $1,000.00 and one with some case colors and decent bluing first generation gun will fetch 4 or 5 grand. A real clean second generation will bring 2K.

I hope that was some help to you and please keep in mind that is my opinion on the values, lets see if 300 H&H or Alpo jump in, those two are pretty savvy on values not to imply there are not others here as well.

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Muddobber, thanks for the well informed input, that's all good stuff.

My '94 was my uncle's who was a cowboy out in Colorado back in the 1920's. The gun came with its original saddle scabbard and a couple of boxes of 20-30's era .30-30 ammo still in the original boxes. One of them is a box of Peter's ammo, remember them? The other is a box of Savage ammo with the indian chief in war bonnet on the box.

As I said, my gun shows the obvious wear & tear from being carried on horseback for years, but it's a fine shooter. Another interesting thing about it is that someone removed the front sight blade and replaced it with a piece of old silver coin. That way, when you look through the sights you get a nice white edge of a coin to stand out against the black rear sight. Their version of hi-viz sights at the time I understand. The lettering on the old coin's face is still visible.

Thanks again for the info. on old '94's. :)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009