Winchester 94

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by capgun, Jul 8, 2011.

1. capgun

capgun Member

I hope someone can help me with some info on a winchester model 94ae xtr 307. This gun is in 95+ condition with very little use. I have been looking at all the gun selling sites for info on prices but they seem all over the road. Any info on how many were made would be greatly appreciated or how much I should ask for it. Or should I put it on one of the auction sites?

Thanks Capgun
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

capgun can you post some pic.? It would be easyer to give you a value.Now i(we) can only give you a book value and that might not be accuret...:)GOOFY
  3. capgun

capgun Member

Hope this will help,sorry about the pics not the best camera

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

I'm stumped! But then again I'm pretty easily stumped! I've never even heard of 307 Caliber. It's a beautiful rifle from what the pics show.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The .307 was an attempt to over come the limitations of the tubular magazines. It is basically a Rimmed .308 with a round nose bullet. Both Winchester and Marlin chambered rifles for it in 1983 but I don't believe anyone is cambering for it now ( nor have been for a few years ). It never caught on, perhaps because it kicked like a mule in the light Winchester 94. Ammo is still out there, 35-40 dollars for box of 20.
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Goodmorning capgun. thanks for the pics. nice gun. it's in very good cond. It is worth around $600-$650. maybe more. depending on who wants it.I would check around local to see what they are selling (or would sell) for if it is lower then you want then sell it on the internet..................GOOFY
  7. capgun

capgun Member

Thanks for the info don't know if I'm going to keep it or sell it
  8. dockgsp

dockgsp New Member

307 is a very popular in Spain. he Spanish gov't considers the 308 a military caliber and civilians are barred from owning it.

The 307 is OK.
  9. capgun

capgun Member

From what I can find out this caliber is popular in every country but the USofA : )
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with some of the others here. In the US, being a .307 will definitely make it a not really sought-after rifle. Blue book value would apply to someone who wants it for a collector piece or for the increased ballistic power, but would probably be a dickering point for most everyone else.

.307 is an oddball that never really caught on over here. And YES, it does kick like a mule in a little 94 carbine! Personally, I think the .375Win has less recoil...to my shoulder anyway.
    As RJay said, it was a rimmed version of the .308 that Winchester schemed up for their "new" angle-eject version of the 94.
    I can understand it's popularity in the countries that prohibit .308 ownership though. A neat "loophole". :)

Also, if you've noticed, the .307 was chambered in the "Big-Bore" version of the the 94 which was a beefed up action that was introduced for the .375Win but later the .307 and .356Winchester (a rimmed version of the .358) were added to the lineup.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011