Winchester Ammo, never again

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dark_falcon27, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

I took my HK USP .40 to the range this past saturday morning and had fired off 50 rounds of American Eagle by Federal, 50 rounds of Monarch, and had just opened a new box of Winchester ammo and within ten rounds had a misfire. I experienced 9 misfires out of a box of 50. Anyone else had this problem? I am very displeased with such a reputable company's product. Here is the box.

[​IMG]
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd write Winchester and tell 'em you ain't happy.

Year or so back I had the first three rounds out of a 20-box of Hornady 44 magnum split. I wrote Hornady. They asked for the lot number, I gave it to 'em, and they sent me another box.

If you make enough stuff, no matter what it is, sooner or later you're gonna make some junk. Companies are aware of this, and if you let 'em know you bought the junk, they'll usually replace it.
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

ive never had a misfire with winchester pistol ammo... i USED to buy it to feed my XD .357sig but swore it off when i noticed that i was able to push the bullet into the casing suprisingly easy.

i think you should write them as well if you had that many misfires
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

A gunshop where I used to live had a box of premium self defense rounds on display.

The whole crate of ammo was dudes. None of the cases had flash holes. Big boo-boo.
  5. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Fired lots of Winchester in 9mm as well as the rimfire stuff, just bought some .45 for range day Weds. I have never had any issues with this ammo, even the bulk. I'd get a hold of the company and find out whats up.
  6. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Well since winchester doesn't post a phone number on their website for customer service I had to submit an "email" under unanswered FAQ's. I'm hoping it was just a bad batch because I have two more boxes of it at home that I bought with the first box. Oddly enough I had zero problems with the box of monarch (made sure it was brass) ammo, and the American Eagle (by Federal). The American Eagle shot very well. I was very pleased with it.
  7. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I wonder if maybe since the ammo companies are trying to play catch up, the quality control might be suffering somewhat. (????)
  8. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

I'd say that's a fair assumption. And I would add this as well, I hope it is only us, the civilian sector, not the DoD that is suffering for it. I don't want any misfires out of my M-4 when it is pointed downrange at an insurgent.
  9. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Dont buy factory ammo, but WW once fired brass is about the best I've found for reloading. It is good stuff.Realy good for fire forming. New never fired though, have to go with hornady.
  10. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

Not long ago, I was shooting .38 specials through a wonderful S&W 357. I had a few hundred shots of Winchester White Box ammo. (150 grain I think.) Had one dud. I examined the dud and the primer was clearly struck. I shook the bullet and heard powder inside. It is my most prized shooting related possession. An eerie reminder of how important it is to double check everything when I reload. Even the pro's got one wrong.
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have used Winchester White Box for years in 9mm for the Browning Hi-Power and in .45acp for the Springfield 1911. Have never experienced a misfire with either.
  12. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

I just don't know. I know that different weapons like to eat different makes of ammo, I guess my HK just does not like Winchester. Or maybe it was a bad batch. But 9 FTE's out of a box of 50 can't be a fluke can it?
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

No fluke there, bad ammo would be my vote. With all the other rounds firing, I dont think you have a firearm problem. Did you save any of the live rounds?? It would be interesting to measure OAL and check the primer seating, etc to see if there were any noticeable issues. Could be that the cases were too short and seating too deep in the chamber. I think poor QC on Wiinchesters part though.
  14. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

No unfortunately I didnt save the rounds in that box, I finished them off. However, I do have two more boxes that I bought with that first box, and they may be from the same lot.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  15. 38 special

38 special New Member

I load my own and (knock on wood) I have never had a malfunction with any of my reloads. But i check and double check every round that I load- primer seating, bullet seating ,powder charge ,etc..I dont use a progressive press so its slow work.
    I do buy factory loads now and then. The only problems Ive had with factory loads was with 38 special Sellior and Bellot loads. The brass split all the way down on 4 different shells BUT that was out of 4 boxes of shells andand all the rest were fine. I still buy them because they (used to be) cheap and accurate.