1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Winchester Gallery Gun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by whitesquirrel44, Jul 5, 2006.

1. whitesquirrel44

whitesquirrel44 New Member

I was given a Winchester Model 62A. It did not have a buttstock nor an inner magazine tube. It is covered in rust and looks like the finish has been touched up before, but I don't know for sure. There appears to be some pitting on the side of the receiver under the current finish. I'm sorry but I don't have a camera to show you. The receivers do not have matching numbers and the bore is as smooth as a shotgun, however, action is nice and tight. I would like to restore this peice, if for nothing else, to say I had a Winchester before I went out and bought a Taurus. I have already ordered a remanufactured stock set, and a replacement mag tube. When I called a gunsmith about re-bluing the steel, he suggest that I just clean it up instead of refinishing it, to keep it's value. Do you think in it's current condition, with all it's flaws and missing peices, it would be more valuable by not refinishing it? Or do you think because of all these flaws, it's not valuable enough to worry about it? I hate to destroy a peice of history because I want it to look better.

Thanks for your opinion.