Winchester may be going away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lead, Jan 17, 2006.

1. lead

lead Active Member

I have seen a report that Winchester is seriously considering closing it's U.S. plant for good. It was on a nynewsday.com story but I lost the complete address. A 140 year old institution going down the tubes. It's a sad day.
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

It is just like loosing part of America. :( :(
  4. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Like loosing part of America, and an Icon in American firearms history---sad, very sad. The name Winchester brings to mind the old west, and a high quality firearm we have relied on for many years---sad, very sad.
  5. flopshot

flopshot New Member

sad. named one of my best pups Winchester years ago. never could scrape together the cash for one.always had my eye on the high end stuff is there a Winchester O/U in the 1000.00 - 1200.00 range i might pick up ?
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Well, Winchester isn't the Winchester of 140 years ago, either...it's changed hands MANY times in the past...at least after Ol' Ollie bought the farm!

Just remember, Oliver Winchester was a BUSINESSMAN and a SALESMAN, not a GUN DESIGNER.

He took OTHER people's designs and marketed them, sometimes well, sometimes not. And along the way he took OTHER people's designs he could not beat, or were TOO much competition, and BURIED them and their company (Spencer Firearms, anyone?) So as much as I love CERTAIN "Winchesters", I never really shed a tear for Old Oliver OR "Winchester,"as a name. He was good at what he did, and died a rich man. And he of ALL people would understand getting "bought out." That's life in the jungle...

SO after Oliver died, not much changed in the firearms world, as opposed to when John Moses Browning died...

I LOVE my heirloom Winchester 1897...and would NEVER part with it. I also WILL own a Model 12 someday... But in my heart I KNOW they are "Brownings..."

On the other hand a few years ago I paid $20 at a knife show for the first "Multi-Tool" I ever saw etched with "Winchester," thinking it was a quality piece and when it BROKE, I noticed "Made in China," which was also right AFTER I saw Walmart selling them for $10, and I coulda' got the SAME quality at Big Lots for $4.99!

My point? Whether it's Winchester, WW, WRA, USRA, or whatever, the GOOD guns they still market will live on, even if produced elsewhere by someone else...

...and if THEY are smart, they will either immediately or soon enough, cash in on the 'Winchester" name... There will ALWAYS be a Winchester, just not like there was in 1900 or 1963...

...and I hope they DON'T make cheap multi-tools...
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I wonder if closing the plant means "Winchester" is really going away. Browning has managed to survive as a design organization with guns made all over the world for them. Since FN, Browning, and "Winchester" have a common owner what is to say that Model 70's and Model 94's (etc.) can not be made in Japan or Portugal or Belguim. I don't think the fat lady has sung yet.

The problem with any manufacturer in the USA today is the cost of labor. Any of these foreign manufacturers (now including China) can beat the manufacturing costs of US made products. Why would a company designed for profit (shareholders) put up with high US labor costs when there are other options. Only privately owned companies can choose to limit profits to keep manufacturing in the US. Stock companies are bound by their share holder to maximise profits. Unfortunately this new "World" based thinking will in the end pull the USA's population down as it elevates the third world. No way to stop it now!

The press release is from the city and the unions who probably don't know the real "plans" of Winchester. Besides the Japanese Winchesters and Brownings are worlds better made than anything that normally comes out of the US plant. It may be bad for the city and the unions and good for the gun buyer.

I think we have to get used to a reduced manufacturing sector in the USA and all the consequences of it, until our labor costs get reduced to match the rest of the world or the rest of the world's labor force their labor cost up. It will be a long hard struggle either way. None of this is good for the USA!

LDBennett
  8. It is a sad commentary on gun manufacturers in the U.S., and unfortunately true of all too many other traditional "American" corporations. I read not long ago that Levi-Srauss no longer manufactuers its clothing line in the U.S. At this rate pretty soon Colt will sell out its operation to the Chinese and the only 1911s you can buy will be cheap plastic knock-offs. Now that is a horrible thought!
  9. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Hey PS, I have one of those "cheap" multitools. I just don't try and use it for anything and break it.

The only Winchester I have these days is an old Mod 1911 12 gauge shotgun. Also known as 'the widowmaker'.

Unique firearm.