Winchester MDL 59

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CROTRA, Sep 28, 2006.

1. CROTRA

CROTRA New Member

Looking for some info on the following shotgun:
    Winchester MDL 59, SN 14184.
    On the left side of the barrel is stamped WIN-LITE 12GA. 23/4 CHAM.
    Seems to be a steel barrel with a plastic outer barrel.
    I would guess it to be about 95-96%, some handling wear on the receiver.
    When was it made?
    How much is it worth? As I am considering purchasing same.
    Thank You.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You have to be careful in buying one of these shotguns, as the receiver is prone to cracking (I believe it's alloy), so it really has to be inspected very carefully. Also, the fiberglass outer layer of the barrel can separate from the inner steel tube, and it usually starts fraying at the muzzle end, so pay close attention to that. The book lists this shotgun in 95% condition at
    $500. It originallycame with three changable chokes, and if these are present, the value supposedly goes up about $165. Frankly, unless I was a Winchester collector and needed it to fill a spot on my wall, I wouldn't touch this shotgun with a ten foot pole. I suppose it is highly valued because they only made 82,000 of them, but let the collectors shell out that kind of money. I don't think it's a decent gun for a shooter to own.
  3. CROTRA

CROTRA New Member

Thanks for the info.
  4. bjay

bjay New Member

I don't disagree with anything Wonderwhippet says. I inherited a Model 59 from my Grandfather who purchased it new in 1960 when I believe virtually all of them were made.

The receiver is indeed aluminum or some lightweight alloy. The barrel is a thin steel tube reinforced with a fiberglass sheath. It breaks down easily and couldn't be easier to clean. The thing never jams. The shotgun is very lightweight and hence its original appeal to my beagle-following, rabbit chasing Grandfather. He really appreciated the light weight of the Model 59 routinely carrying it many miles.

I have experience some very slight erosion of the fiberglass sheath at the muzzle but it hasn't gotten any worse in many years. No evidence of cracking or other damage to the receiver and the gun has been used quite a lot. Mine was manufactured as a modified choke and never had interchangeable tubes.

My biggest complaint about the Model 59 is the same thing that sold them in the first place; its light weight. In my opinion she kicks pretty good, more than my other 12 gauge, which I consequently use more often.