Winchester Mdl 68

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

OHshooter
    (7/26/02 8:56:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Winchester Model 68
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a chance to buy a Winchester Model 68 22LR single shot. It looks like it was stored in a fleece lined case and has a lot of surface rust and the stock is spotted. Under the rust and spotting the blueing and stock finish does not appear to be worn. I used a little Hoppes and steel wool on a small part of the barrel an it looks like it will cleanup fairly well. The bore looks good so it should shoot as good as it ever did, however good that was! :)

I am thinking of offering $50 for it, does that sound fair?

I found out that this model was made between 1934 and 1946 but they are not serial numbered. Is there anything to look for to narrow it's age down a little? From the description I read, everything looks original.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/26/02 9:21:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester Model 68
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I`d give fifty for it all day long. Does it still have the original peep sight??? LTS

Ken GFA
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/26/02 9:30:39 pm)
    ... Jun 9, 2002. 2765412, WINCHESTER MODEL 68 TARGET SINGLE SHOT RIFLE, Fine,
    0, $400.00, 4:39 PM PST Sunday

OHshooter
    (7/26/02 10:29:38 pm)
    It looks like it is the original sight but it looks like there should be an aperture, which is missing.

wundudnee
    (7/28/02 2:33:39 pm)
    Hmmm...Missing aperture, rusty, spotted, old. You definitely don't want this. Errrr who did you say had it?

OHshooter
    (7/30/02 11:48:30 pm)
    Well now I own it.

I used #0000 steel wool and Hoppes #9 and most of the rust came off. I could probaby get more of it off but don't want to take off the bluing too. Doesn't look to bad for a rifle that is a couple of years older than I am!

I'll have to see if I can find a aperture since the original one is missing.