Winchester Mod 21 12 Ga ????

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Aug 22, 2004.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Found a Winny Mod 21 - 12 Ga, 26" tubes, "Tournament Skeet" gun. Briley Chokes, Pistol Grip, Beaver Tail fore end, Single Trigger, Ejector gun. Ad says 95% overall. Pics look good. Recoil pad appears to be red Winchester original. No visible "fancy engraving" or anything. Asking $3800..... What's the crowd think?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

My book states 95% - $2400.00 100% = $3000, and 98% = $2750. CountryGunsmith can probably give you a better number as he likes Winchester SxS.
  3. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The books fall short of the market on Winchester 21's. The Tournament Skeet (if so marked) is a rare, desirable gun.

I'm not that thrilled about the red pad and the Brileys, although that does not hurt it that much.

This grade should have REALLY nice wood. If the wood has really great figure and the checkering is still sharp, it is not a bad buy.
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Thanks for the insight - I've lucked into a semi-local guy (2 hrs away) who really does a brisk business in older SxS's. I've been desiring a nice SxS for a while, LC Smith, Fox, Model 21, something of that ilk. But, I shoot a good bit of skeet and sporting - so I want something I can use. The model 21 listed, while it has short tubes, can't be messed up further by adding screw in chokes, since it already has them. Not sure I'm gonna jump on this unless he'll take an installment plan. Plus, I want to go down and handle the gun myself.

Country - where should I look for the Tournament Skeet markings? Any other insights to determining origninality?
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Here's a picture of the gun....

Attached Files:

6. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Should be marked "SKEET" on the underside. Originality is not a big deal on this particular shotgun, you're buying a shooter. The big plus is that it will not go down in value. Ever.

The pad does not look original to the gun, but again, not that big a deal. I would have expected nicer wood on a skeet-grade, that looks like field grade wood in the pic.

Try to get closer to $3k.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Thanks for the insight! Good to know we've got this crowd of experts to discuss stuff with...