Winchester Mod 61

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Aug 18, 2006.

1. I have a Winchester Model 61, pump action rifle (.22 S, L, & LR) that was, I'm told, originally designed by John M. Browning. The rifle was given to me by my father, NIB, many, many years ago. Indeed, it was the first firearm I ever owned. Little did my Dad know at the time where that simple but very thoughtful gift would lead, but oh well, the vagaries of fate seem to have intervened, as they so often do, and here I am today with enough firearms to start WWIII. :D Anyway, the rifle has great sentimental value to me quite obviously, especially since my father passed away over twenty years ago. On another forum thread recently, IPT kindly mentioned to me that these Mod 61s have increased considerably in value over the years. That sparked my curiosity about the true value of the weapon today. I would greatly appreciate any information you folks might be able to impart. Here is the detailed info on the rifle:

Winchester Model 61.
    Caliber: .22 short, long, or long rifle, but I've shot LRs through it exclusively.
    High-quality walnut stock.
    Serial No. 27872

The metal on the rifle was professionally reblued and the stock professionally refinished in 1988 after the rifle was slightly water-damaged in a fire. It has been shot very little since then. All parts are original and the weapon functions flawlessly as it always has. The tiny original gold bead that was soldered to the front sight is long gone, Lord only knows where. It probably forms part of Saturn's rings by now. :D The only addition I have made to the rifle was to mount a non-permanent scope on the grooved receiver designed for that purpose.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Wow, PS. You have the earliest serial number I have seen yet. Mine is 323,XXX and was made in 1958. Fortunately, mine is LN, but no box and appears to be unfired. Last year I paid $900 for it in auction.

Now for the bad news. I'm sorry to say that you have a shooter version as it has been refinished along with the stock. However, you do have many prized memories to go along with it. I would venture to say the value on yours would be in the $300 to $400 as a shooter and I think I'm on the high side.

IPT
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Yea unfortunetly it is refurbed.
    Exc. would be around $775
    Good about $550
    Refurbed I would say between $250-$400 Depending on how good it was done and how good it works and functions.
  4. sctman800

sctman800 New Member

I just happen to have a model 61 also with a Weaver scope serial #83xxx. Mine has been shot some but not a lot, I would say at least 90% condition and origonal. A real nice fun gun, but I am more into handguns so it doesn't get out much. Jim.
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

When a gun is redone-there are several ways and some don`t hurt. Had it been done by Winchester, it sometimes can improve value-lettered of course.
    Now the next, when a "REAL" pro does it. This will cost you AND will not devalue the gun more than 20-30% of the same condition unmolested, so you are not hurt, as a matter of fact-some are done so well they cannot be detected except by the best. This includes having the correct stamps-roll dies-varnish/stain receipts and the such AND not for the faint of heart.
    Then you have the damn good sander and reblue-er, while good to great, it ain`t a pro job by any real standard, sharp edges are gone, lettering is removed or edged flat and all the rest-incorrect bluing color mix and the same for the wood. That is just as important as the description of the unmolested gun.

LTS
  6. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I saw one yesterday at the local gun show. Looked about 75% orignal cond. he wanted $750.00 it was siting next a Stevens just like it and wanted $175 for that one. They both look like copies of my Remington mod 12. Someone copyed someone.
  7. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

You're breaking my heart, Pistol. I had exactly the same rifle, but let it go 15 years ago. What a fool!!