Winchester Mod 63 Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bmcphe44, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

I am new to the Forum and really impressed with all the great advice and knowledge here. I love firearms of all types and have used and collected them for years. I like buying them and hate selling or trading them and have learned a lot lurking on this site.

Now to my question. I have a Mod 63 Winchester that was my wife's Great Uncle. It is in really good shape and I have researched it some and know it would qualify as a collector. The question I have is that I understand only the last 10000 or so were manufactured with a grooved receiver which would be from around 165000 sn to 175000 sn. This rifle has a serial number in the 159000 range. Is that possible? Did Winchester start the grooved receiver at a earlier sn than 165000?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. My wife's uncle had several other guns I may have questions about and as I learn to use the site I will try to post pictures and info. Thanks again.
  2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Bmcphee44,

Welcome to the forum.

You did not say in your post that your Winchester model 63 with serial number in the 159000 range had the grooved receiver.

I'm guessing that it does.

You do have a late M63 and if the machining and finish of the groove looks correct, I think you can assume that Winchester did it.

A manufacturer may not start a change at a precise SN and every gun after that have that feature. You might find that change before and after a specific SN.

You might want to go to Rimfire Central: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
    and go to the Winchester section and post your question there.

Those 63's are neat little guns and well liked and shoot great.

Hope this helps.

Jolly
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

My guess is that your gun is all original. All of the books I have on Winchesters and letters I have received from the Cody Museum tell me that neither are absolute. I gave my grandson a model 62A several years ago that according to all the books doesn't exist because it is some 15,000 serial numbers beyond when production was supposed to have stopped.

I once had a model 86 that was and lettered as a 45-90. I traded it to my neighbor and he wanted a letter in his own name and it came back as a 45-70. That same neighbor has an absolutely brand new unfired model 86 made in 1892 that is a 45-70, but letters as a 40-65. That particular gun has a one in serial number that has a tail at the top of it making it look like a lazy seven. He resent the serial number changing the one to a seven and it came back a 45-70.

Please learn how to send pictures, several of us like old guns like your Winchester causing us to drool on our key boards.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

Jolly Bill and muddober, Thanks for your replies and that info does make sense as to what I am seeing. The rifle is in very good shape and yes it does have a grooved receiver which looks factory to me. I will post pictures and as I mentioned I have some other guns that I am trying to get more info on and will post those pics as well. Thanks again for your response.
  5. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Bmcphe44 Congrats on the nice family Winchester , always nice to have the history :cool:, looking forward to the pics please get a shoot of the grooved receiver. I also have a model 63 its a family gun too and a really low serial number of 540 with a Lyman peep sight, we shoot it as a regular at the range.
  6. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

[​IMG]

Just experimenting with photos to see if I am doing this right. If the image comes through these are 4 of the rifles in Uncle Tom's guns and of course the Winchester is the 2nd one from the top. If this works I will take some better pictures. If not I will try again. Thanks Bmcphe
  7. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

OK that worked so I will get some close shots Bmcp
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok let me see this baby
  9. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

[​IMG]

I can tell I will have to get a lot better at this but here are 3 pictures. I hope you can tell a little about the rifle. It is very nice and I believe Tom bought it new in 57. Thanks to all who responded. Bmcp
  10. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

Strange I thought I did that the same way but no pictures. I don't like computers much but I love guns. I will keep trying.
  11. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Your teasing us ;)
  12. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will try one more time and then I am throwing the computer out the door. If they come through I am sorry for the quality but I hope I can get better in the future.
    Bmcp
  13. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Looks very nice so far :cool:
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

your better than i am with pictures
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum so far rifle looks really good
  16. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

I will practice a little and try and get rid of the glare and will post some more tomorrow. Is this the correct thread if I have gun value questions and general knowledge questions on different guns or should I search for a thread for a specific gun? Thanks for your comments and your patience. Bmcp
  17. muddober

muddober Active Member

That receiver is as original as they come.

Ron
  18. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

Thanks muddober. For practice here are afew more pics. bmcp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]