Winchester Model 100 Cocking/Firing Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by alamoganda, Apr 10, 2012.

1. alamoganda

alamoganda New Member

I have a Win Model 100 I am working on for a friend of mine and it has a problem cocking and firing. If you charge the weapon one to two times it will fire no problem. If you charge it on the third and sometimes fourth attempt it will not fire at all but the hammer is cocked. If you wait long enough, bump it, or repeat charging it it will fire. All of the parts seem fine, and this is the only problem this rifle has. Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going on here.:eek:
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

There was a recall on the M 100 many moons ago, I'm pretty sure it was for a firing pin issue, could be related.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i am sure others will be along to help u
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It sounds like the trigger reset is not working and the trigger is not (re-)engaging the sear. IIRC, that gun has a trigger group that can be removed, so it might be easier to check it outside the gun and not have to work the action. The problem could be dirt, lack of lubrication, or a worn or broken part. No way to tell from here.

Jim
  5. 30calpal

30calpal New Member

I have one of those but not with the same problem. Check to see if your gun has had a new firing pin installed per the RECALL. Some have posted that if you know what to look for, there is a mark on the barrel, maybe underneath, that tells whether the gun has been fixed with the proper firing pin. You may have to take it out of the stock to see. A broken firing pin will act the way you are describing...sometimes it will align itself and fire,...sometimes it won't. Nu-Line gun parts usually has these for replacement even if can't get one from Winchester.