Winchester Model 12 Slam-Fires

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
    Author Comment
    rounder999
    (1/5/03 10:17:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Winchester Model 12 Auto Trigger?????
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have the opportunity to trade for a winchester model 12 20ga for a fair price. However the shotgun fires if you hold the trigger down when the action is closed. The seller says he got it that way and it is supposed to be that way. It doesn't sound right to me and I think it may be in need of repair, a disconnector maybe? Has anyone had any experience with this and is it an expensive or complicated fix?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/5/03 12:41:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester Model 12 Auto Trigger?????
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds to me like a very worn sear, or reassembled in an incorrect manner. ThinK I'd pass on it unless the problem could be remedied economically.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

JayL
    (1/5/03 9:59:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester Model 12 Auto Trigger?????
    This is a problem, as opposed to "normal." It is somewhat common on the model 12, but more often seen on the model 97. Generally it can be traced to a worn sear.
    Jay L

"Move, Shoot, Communicate!"

rounder999
    (1/7/03 1:49:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del I kind of thought so
    Thanks - it didn't seem right, even though it was a "gunsmith" who told me.

Hadaway
    (1/10/03 12:25:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Winchester Model 12 Auto Trigger?????
    It's not a worn sear. There is a stud on the side of the hammer that is engaged by the slide lock. The slide lock holds the hammer in the cocked position while the action is being cycled. More than likely, the stud on the hammer is worn. It's not like it's supposed to be, but it's only a problem if you hold the trigger to the rear while cycling the action. If it's priced where you can have the hammer replaced and still come out to the good, you may want to consider buying it.

Thanks,
    Lee
    www.thearmsroom.com

rounder999
    (1/13/03 5:21:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks Lee
    I went ahead with the trade, an argentine police hi power I bought for 250.00 4 years ago and he kicked in 75.00. I don't think i'll get hurt as long as the repair isn't prhibitive.

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 5:53:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks Lee
    I was under the impression that older Model 12s and some other shotguns would do this because they were made without disconnectors - at least that's what I read. I had an old Marlin shotgun that would do this...

Some people considered this a "feaure" because you can hold the trigger back and fire off shots as fast as you can pump.

RobC in Missouri

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 6:03:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Thanks Lee
    That was the '97, not the Model 12.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson
  2. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The Mdl 97 was made to shoot with the trigger down and pump fire the weapon. That is why they were the prefered shot gun of lawmen and outlaws around the turn of the 20th century. I just love the love the old 97s but watch that hammer it will eat your thumb.

RC
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Yep, the Winchester Model 97 and 12 don't have a trigger disconnect that will only reset by releasing the trigger. They were made that way on purpose as were most firearms up to that period. OTOH, the new reproduction 97's from China DO have a disconnect and will not fire by holding the trigger back and cycling the action.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yes, the condition described in the original post is normal for a Model 12 as well as for Models 1893 and 1897.

Jim
  5. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

The Model 12 s are notorious for breaking the firing pin. Being tapered it is still trapped in the bolt but does not retract when the action is worked. Sometimes it continues to protrude and hangs up the shell being lifted to load. It is possible that the uncontrolled broken part of the pin could also cause a slamfire
  6. BillM

BillM Active Member

It's normal. Heck----it's a FEATURE!:)

Winchester '97's and 1912's, Older Ithaca 37's, and IIRC the Stevens
    520 shotguns, along with the 1890 Winchester 22's and probably
    others, do not have a disconnector. Hold the trigger down and
    pump---as soon as it goes into battery it will drop the hammer
    and fire.
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I consider it a feature of the model 12 as well. When you are hunting dove on a tree line, and they fly across the corner at top speed, that slam fire feature is nice to have for a quick follow up shot. I have killed many dove with my model 12 that way.