The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester model 12

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  bumblebee 
#1 ·
Can anybody help me with the value of a model 12 Winchester. I think the dealer has a 550.00 price on it and I cant figure out why. It is a plain, 12 gauge, 30 inch, full choke, non vent rib barrel, ( as most were ) nineteen fifties mfg., and matching numbers, but has been cut down to 20 inches. Although the gun is in really nice shape, 85 to 90 %, and the barrel has been professionally cut down and has a front bead site on it, it seems to still be a novelty to me at about 60% blue book value or about 300.00. I look at all it is competing with for riot or police style shotguns in the 250.00 to 350.00 range brand new. What am I missing ? It is not a military marked or stamped shotgun and not a factory riot or trench gun but simply a cut down model 12. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Someone is going to say this so I'll beat them to it. You have to post pics if you want an estimation of value. No way around it. There are instructions in a sticky explaining how to post.
Now that said, sounds like way too much to me. I just payed $300 for a 1920's model '97 with a true cylinder barrel. I think someone is smoking their sox. My guess is he's hoping for some unsuspecting person to bite on what sounds like a ridiculous price.

#4 ·
Anytime. And I have yet to have a gun shop not allow me to snap pictures of a gun I was thinking of buying, and I've done it often. They guys here are a great group and full of information.

Reactions: raven818
#5 ·
Ok sinse there are no pics, I will take a stab at what I used to sell them for.
A model 12 plane jane at 85% and TIGHT about $350
If the barrel has been modified in any way such as changing the choke or shortened barrel $200-$225.
Please remember, your location will have a bearing on the value of your firearm.
The model 12 is super common up here and dose not demand a high value. If it were new in the box with papers and original take-down manual $1,000.

#10 ·
They are highly regarded around here. I see them all the time in good shape for $500+. Not cut down. A modified cut down would drop the price considerably.

Thats not a full anymore since it has been cut down. It is a cylinder now.

Reactions: joe45c
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.