1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Winchester Model 12

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

BobNichols
    (1/2/03 5:17:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Winchester Model 12
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Winchester Model 12 that is 100% original. The S/N is 363132 which places it's manufacture date at 1923. It's a 12 Ga. w/Solid Rib. No special ID as far as "trap", etc. so my guess it's a "Standard". Very little of the bluing is left and it has NOT been reblued. This is a family piece that has been handed down for 3 generations so far. My Dad still uses it on occasion and it works great!

My questions are:
    1. What is the approximate value
    2. Is a copy of the owners manual, instructions, parts list still available?

Bob

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 6:30:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester Model 12
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Bob.....welcome to TFF.

Your Model 12, 12 ga. with a solid rib is valued as follows:

60% = $190
    70% = 245
    80% = 315

While the dollar value isn't high, as a 3rd generation shotgun, I'll bet the sentimental value and the hunting memories are priceless.....you've got a good ol' girl there.

You can get a schematic and parts list from GunPartsCorp. Part # PDF0522 www.e-gunparts.com/schematics.asp

I checked the Winchester site, but they don't offer a manual for the Model 12, but you can get an disassembly/assembly manual here for $5.00: www.survival.com.mx/gunra...books.html

BobNichols
    (1/3/03 9:36:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Model 12
    Please help out a novice here: what is the "80%" etc. referring to?

Bob

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/3/03 5:28:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Model 12
    Generally speaking, it's the percentage of finish left.....however, on older guns, that becomes a bit elastic.

If much of the bluing is gone, but there's no rust or pits, the gun is still working well and fairly tight, and the wood is good condition, I would put it at 60%.

Anyway.....who cares about the $$$$ value? This gun is a member of the family....I sure hope you're not planning on selling it.

BobNichols
    (1/3/03 6:54:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Model 12
    No WAY are we selling it. But I want it appraised (generally) for Insurance purposes.

Thanks again!