Winchester Model 12

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

BobNichols
    (1/2/03 5:17:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Winchester Model 12
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Winchester Model 12 that is 100% original. The S/N is 363132 which places it's manufacture date at 1923. It's a 12 Ga. w/Solid Rib. No special ID as far as "trap", etc. so my guess it's a "Standard". Very little of the bluing is left and it has NOT been reblued. This is a family piece that has been handed down for 3 generations so far. My Dad still uses it on occasion and it works great!

My questions are:
    1. What is the approximate value
    2. Is a copy of the owners manual, instructions, parts list still available?

Bob

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 6:30:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester Model 12
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Bob.....welcome to TFF.

Your Model 12, 12 ga. with a solid rib is valued as follows:

60% = $190
    70% = 245
    80% = 315

While the dollar value isn't high, as a 3rd generation shotgun, I'll bet the sentimental value and the hunting memories are priceless.....you've got a good ol' girl there.

You can get a schematic and parts list from GunPartsCorp. Part # PDF0522 www.e-gunparts.com/schematics.asp

I checked the Winchester site, but they don't offer a manual for the Model 12, but you can get an disassembly/assembly manual here for $5.00: www.survival.com.mx/gunra...books.html

BobNichols
    (1/3/03 9:36:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Model 12
    Please help out a novice here: what is the "80%" etc. referring to?

Bob

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/3/03 5:28:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Model 12
    Generally speaking, it's the percentage of finish left.....however, on older guns, that becomes a bit elastic.

If much of the bluing is gone, but there's no rust or pits, the gun is still working well and fairly tight, and the wood is good condition, I would put it at 60%.

Anyway.....who cares about the $$$$ value? This gun is a member of the family....I sure hope you're not planning on selling it.

BobNichols
    (1/3/03 6:54:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Model 12
    No WAY are we selling it. But I want it appraised (generally) for Insurance purposes.

Thanks again!