Winchester model 1300

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Davejohn90, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

I have a winchester model 1300.
    It is a basic hunter model nothing special. I recently went to a turkey shoot and got creemed lol. I want to make this into both a tactical shotgun and a turkey shoot gun. I know i can find stock/pistol grip sets for it. The questions I have are these...
    1. The lowest size choke tube I can use is a .68 who is the cheapest and best company to go with.
    2. I want to get a extended tube as well as some tac items (pistol grip stock and pistol grip pump)for this as well what do u recomend on that.
    3. I am on a budget I need to keep this below 350$.

Thanks
  2. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Kinda like saying you want a Ferrari and a offroad vehicle in one package.

What I mean is that you want a gun to do 2 completely different things. A turkey gun generally is a tightly choked (maybe long barreled) longer range shotgun in a woods camo; a "tactical" shotgun is generally a extended mag open choke shorter range shotgun.

If you want to consider the ammo, a turkey load preferred by guys that like brutal punishment is a 3.5 inch 12 ga. You do not state what your gun is chambered for. You may want to look for one of the "defender" type short barrels for your gun and just buy different barrels to fit your needs or look at Brownells for the extra full extended (exterior choke) tubes and see what you think.

Unfortunately, this is the reason that many guys "need" (or make an excuse to buy) a new made to play the game shotgun. Just like the trap guns are not the greatest for skeet regardless of the choke.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not necessarily so.. Get a AR type stock set for it. The ATI pistol grip buttstocks are good. Have the barrel shortened to 20 inches and have the muzzle re-reamed and threaded for chokes. Then get a Jelly Head ported choketube. Not only is it a designated turkey choke, but its ported (looks like an AR flashhider) and will sit right at home on your 1300.

I did a very similar thing to my 870, except I kept the factory laminate stock and cut the barrel to 19". I use it as a HD shotgun primarily, but also shoot dove and sporting clays as well as turkey hunting.

Attached Files:

4. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

it is sized fir 2.5-3. I'd like a ar type tact stock. I think for the time being I'll leave the barrel alone I like its length. I have a winchoke on it now. I want a 2" extended extra full choke with an AR type uzzle break. I've been looking can anyone find one?
    When I'm done with it I'll post pics
  5. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Wilsons good. They are top o the line tho so you will be paying the big bucks
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Wilson is good stuff but they are not known for their shotguns. You'd be better off finding a set from a company that has made chokes exclusively.
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

9. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

10. bobski

bobski Former Guest

i think there are laws about mag capacity when hunting. a mag tube extension is a fish and game officer magnet.;)
  11. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

From what I've found MD state law only says you can't have a tube cap of 10. Thats fine with me .