Winchester Model 141 .22 SL or LR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Guy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I inherited a Winchester Model 141 bolt action .22 rifle. I have done research and found that the last year that it was made was 1972. I am pretty sure that it is probably made in the 60's, but there is not serial number. It also has a Ted Williams (Sears) 4X scope mounted on it. The rifle is in excellent shape and I don't really want to use it for fear of scuffing it up. What would the value of this set up be?

Old Guy
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Old Guy,

The "book" says about $225 for one in nearly new condition. The scope will add another $25 if it is in good condition as well. Although they are no terribly valuable, they are a very interesting desgn, with front locking lugs. They were made with economy in mind. Best regards, Kirk
  3. PetahW

PetahW New Member

The 141's true value is as a shooter - as there is very sparse collector's demand for them.

If your rifle has no serial number, then it was made prior to the GCA-68 mandatory serial-numbering requirement of 1968.
    Prior to 1968, many manufacturers didn't bother to serial number their economy, and/or less expensive firearms - although some did.

In the mid-60's, Winchester went on an "economy" kick, introducing several "affordable" products from 1963 onward - the cusp of "pre & post" '64 references, when speaking of Winchesters.

Besides using less expensive internals and manufacturing methods on most of their firearms, Winchester also introduced a series of inexpensive rimfire boltguns to replace the discontinued Model 69, etc line - which was their previous economy model.

Your M141 butt-loader was introduced along with the M131 - but were discontinued in 1972 in favor of the Greg Warne designed Model 320 series - which eventually went on to become the Kimber.

If you ever decide to refinish it at some point, due to damage in the future, just be aware that it's stock is a very blonde/yellow "hardwood" under the issue stain.

I once made a nice-looking (subjective) sporter from a M131 by adding a rosewood forend tip & gripcap to contrast with the yellow wood, ditched the sights, and restyled parts of the stock for a more graceful line.
    With those smaller, properly-proportioned scopes, they're pretty good handling little rifles.

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Thank you for your input. It is a neat and clean gun and I will probably keep it that way.

Old Guy
  5. Mainky34

Mainky34 New Member

I have this model of bolt action .22. It was given to me when I was about 13 years old. When I received it it didn't have a magazine. Does anyone know where I can get a magazine?
  6. wardog1247

wardog1247 New Member

ok i see this post is old but you can get all the parts for this wonderful firearm at http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ i have this gun, it is a tack driver! its in great condition it is my favorite sat. range rifle cheap to shoot ,nice to hold ,nice action and i can put round after round through the same hole it s nice when you can shoot 50 rounds and looks like you shot 3 all day...lol i recently needed a bolt head and found almost every part for this gun there,being that it is very hard to get these parts i am going to order all i can get so this gun can live on in my boys family after i am gone.good luck hope you get this message.