The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester model-1884 25-20

14K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jolly Bill 
#1 ·
Could someone give me a value on this !!WAIT!! theres more this has been restamped to 32-20 I'm not that big on guns .the ser# is 263734 this was taken very good care of and still a shooter today just no need to do that. any help is good. Thank you

#3 ·
That's a model 1892. Ain't no such thing as an 1884 Winchester.

If it's been restamped 32/20, that's most likely because it's been rechambered. Shooting black powder ammo with corrosive primers, and not cleaning the gun, will cause you to have a ruined barrel. Since the 25/20 is a necked-down 32/20, drilling the hole out to 30 caliber and rerifling it would give you a serviceable rifle again, and since the only difference in the cartridges is the size of the bullet, that's the only thing that would need to be done.

Because it is not in the condition it left Winchester, it does not have collector value. As a shooter, however, I'd SWAG 800 to maybe 1200. If that's a Marbles tang sight, and not a Lyman, that should add about 50 bucks to the value.

#4 · (Edited)
It is a marbles tang sight with something Nov 4 08 stamped in it.I thought that model came from last two of date stamped on barrel in this case OCTOBER-14-1884 Not second guessing you just asking.Could this of been miss stamped at factory?? I was told this was a 32-20 LA and the rifling is very nice only shot a hand full of times in passed 40 years. and i have shells with. I have also shot this and have known where its been for the last 68 years.I just don't know all that much about guns they are all handed down to me.

#5 ·
John Browning patented the action in 1884. He sold the patent to Winchester, who made a large-caliber rifle called the 1886. Later they shrunk the entire gun down, and chambered it for smaller calibers, but still used the same patented action. The new, smaller gun, is the 1892. That's what you have. If you were to remove the Marbles sight, on the gun's tang, underneath it, it should say Winchester 1892.

#7 ·
I agree with Alpo. If the caliber has been overstamped (I can't tell from the pics), the barrel has either been rebored and re-rifled or lined. That kind of work was not done at the factory so you have a gunsmith modification. The rifling is nice because it was done fairly recently (1940's would be possible) and the gun has not been fired with corrosive primed ammunition after the work was done.

Jim

#8 ·
Hello Hairtrigger,

I am currently conducting a research survey on the Model 1892. Your standard sporting rifle was manufactured during 1904. If you would like the exact day on which the receiver was serialized you can contact the Cody Firearms Museum. Usually the rifle was fully assembled and in the Winchester warehouse after a few weeks of the serialization date. They can also prepare a "Factory Letter" specific to your rifle. It will contain the date the rifle entered and was later shipped from the Winchester warehouse and the original configuration of the gun. An example is shown below. . http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records/

Could I please get a photo of the barrel address and the upper tang stamp below the peep sight? I would like to add your rifle into my data base of just over 1500 rifles which I have looked at. I will be able to tell you how your rifle fits into the changes made during production. You can read these two posts on other forums to get an idea of what I am doing.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27559&p=343093&hilit=1892+survey#p343093

http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3460

Thanks for any help.
2but/Michael

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
I have a Winchester 1892 that is in 25-20 WCF. This rifle was passed on to me last year after my father passed away. The story is that it belonged to his grandfather. The gun is still a shooter, I can remember shooting it as a teenager. The serial number is 793546. At least I think that this is the serial number, it's the only number I can find and it's on the bottom of the receiver.
The rife has a 24 inch barrel, wood is in excellent condition.

I need to get an idea of the value for my insurance, any good guess out there?

#10 ·
cb5300,

Welcome to the forum.

Can only give you a range of values of your M1892 without a better and more detailed description and good sharp pictures are very helful.

With 24 inch barrels it would be a rifle as yours is. A carbine would have 20 inch barrels. 793546 serial number would put it in the 1914 or so production date. If the gun is all original; not reblued, wood not refinished, no extra holes and overall in excellent condition, retail value would be in the $1000 - $1400 range. More if it is in much nicer condition with most of its original finish and less if most of the finish is gone. Less too if extra holes, reblued, terrible bore and/or wood.

Does it have a round barrel or octagon?

Jolly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.