1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Winchester Model 1890: Date of Manufacture

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jespie, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Jespie

Jespie New Member

I inherited a family heirloom, a Winchester pump action rifle. Please bear with me as I know little firearm terminology. From some preliminary internet research, I find that it is a Winchester Model 1890, second model, standard, take-down, .22 short. I understand there should be a number on the lower tang, but the neck of the stock was wrapped in tape (presumably for better grip?) by an ancestor, and I don't care to remove it. I did, however, find what I believe to be the serial number: 246,136; also the patent marking, June 26, 88 Dec 4, 92. I have two questions:

1. Can the year of manufacture be determined from this serial number?

2. My father told me that the rifle had been modified so that it could no longer be used as a repeating weapon - in other words, it can only be loaded through the breach and must be reloaded upon each firing. Would have it been possible to purchase the rifle this way, or would the family have needed a gunsmith to made the modification. Also, could this be reversed?

I would be grateful for any information you could provide.
  2. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

I inherited two 90's. Actually a Model 1890 and a 90. They look the same just manufactured at different times. I contacted Winchester directly with the serial numbers and they gave me their respective manufacture dates. They could also (more than likely) tell you if the rifle came the way you have it now. I went to this website ( http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php?file=win1890.dat) and plugged in your serial number and it came back 1905.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

There's a good chance that the stock is cracked or broken and the tape was applied to hold everything together.
  4. Jespie

Jespie New Member

JPMCCR and WonderWhippet,
    Thank you both for your quick responses. The 1905 mfg. date would fall within my grandfather's childhood, which would pretty much confirm my theory that the rifle was purchased for him by his father. I had never considered the possibility that the tape might actually be holding the stock together - that is an excellent point. Since the tape has as much family provenance as the rifle itself, I'll leave it in place.

One last question, if you don't mind. JPMCCR, you mentioned that you contacted Winchester directly. Do they have a website?

Thanks again for helping me put a mystery to bed.
  5. jpmccr

jpmccr Member