Winchester Model 1890

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by joncutt87, Jun 12, 2011.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chambered for 22 WRF
    Serial Number 115913
    All original.
    This gun is amazing still has amazing rifling and pitting is minor to non-exsistant and is very accurate. The wood definitely has wear on it from use but considering how old this gun is it is amazing. Just trying to find out approx. worth.
  2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

joncutt87,

Looks like you have a late 2nd model in .22WRF.

Considering condition, which I would judge from your pictures to be about GOOD and the caliber .22WRF, I'm thinking retail value around $350 to $400. .22WRF ammo is not readily available so that would affect the value slightly down.

I have a 2nd model 1890 in a little better condition in .22 SHORT and would be happy to get $400 for it.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Cheaper than dirt has the .22 WRF for 6 dollars for 50 rounds.
  4. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

CCI has it available also but I don't think many gun shops carry it. They used to be about 6 bucks for a box of 50 but I think they are around 8 or 9 bucks now. If you can find them.

The Cheaper Than Dirt price is very attractive. You'd better buy a bunch of it to justify the cost of shipping.

Jolly
  5. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

From the prices i see on some of these has varied a lot lately. The guys here seem to be within an average price range but i notice the internet auction speciality houses bring in the top dollar on these. If it has an octagon barrel the price goes higher.

I just got into collecting a few of these yet i don't understand the wide price range on some of these too. Lets say (example the single shots) i see a pre 1898 model asking for $2,400 while the post 1898 model is $400. I don't understand this thinking. I would think the post 1898 model being so close to the pre 1898 model it would be much higher price wise too. I know there is no set price range and the prices are all over the place.

To me personally i would think the win pump in 22 wrf maybe scarce or rare but i'm not sure. Anyway it would be a collectors piece and a wanted piece by any 22cal or winchester collector.

Now i been also running into the prices on the surplus military guns that vary alot too. While some are reasonable the others are out of sight price wise. There's no set average prices.

But if we look at the antique blackpowder guns they do a complete 180 degree turn from the rest of the guns. There all priced very high and there all together at one price range thats in the $1,000 of dollars. These guys seem to be all in one price range together. I have no clue as to why too. Collecting these is the most expensive guns to collect.

My wife would always squat at me buying the surplus military stuff but when we went to an antique blackpowder gun show by mistake oneday and she seen the many thousands of dollars that stuff costs plus i said this will be my next hobby i have no problem buying any of the military surplus stuff now.
    Bill
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

One problem with auctions, on or off line, is that one or a few well-off bidders who decide they have to have something can bid the price beyond all reason. Further, since there is no validation or authentication of claims (as there is in the better auction houses), the seller can put forth any claim, no matter how ridiculous or impossible, and some buyer may accept it. (No, that M1 carbine was NOT carried by U.S. Grant at Vicksburg!)

Those are aberrations and I don't think a couple have influence on overall pricing. But if the exaggerated figure becomes "the value", then the prices of ordinary guns can go out of sight. More likely is that people will buy high priced junk, then find when they decide to sell, that they cannot get a fraction of the price they paid.

Jim
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Well, it has an octogon barrel.