Winchester Model 1892 parts

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by MikeB, Sep 13, 2012.

1. MikeB

MikeB New Member

I have a Winchester Model 1892 that is missing the Rear Band Screw. The band is chrome. All of the replacement screws that I have seen online are blued. Does anyone know where I might find one that matches the chrome band. Thanks
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I doubt very much that it is chrome, unless someone had it chromed at some point.

There were some special order guns with nickel plated receivers so it's most likely nickel plated.

I don't think you will find one. I would buy the blued one and send it off to be nickel plated. You might even have a plating shop nearby.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. MikeB

MikeB New Member

Thanks for your reply. I have posted a couple of pictures. Local gunsmith thought it was chrome. photo 1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg
  4. GunHugger

I agree...it "looks like" chrome rather than nickle. The pics help but it's still hard to tell for sure.

Yours is a later production gun since it has a round barrel. The special order ones were octagon barreled if I remember right so you gun might be too new. I think it was an option before 1933.

This is what a nickle plated one would look like, I don't think they ever did the whole gun but anything is possible I guess.
    [​IMG]

If it chrome plated, my advice is still the same. Buy the blued screw and have it chrome plated.
  5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

92s were made with round or octagon barrels from the get go ! If you can find a blue screw , just remove the bluing and polish the head ! It should blend in pretty well .
  6. GunHugger

Thank you, I didn't know that, should have checked before I typed.

MODEL 1892 RIFLE
    - .25-20 WCF, .32-20 WCF, .38-40 WCF, or .44-40 WCF cal., 24 in. round or octagon barrel, blue, tube mag., forend cap, crescent butt. Approx. 1,000,000 mfg. between 1892-1941.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I thought about advising that, but a screw left in the white will rust much easier than one that was plated. Rusty screw in that nickel (or chrome) barrel band would look awful ugly.

Plus, it goes all the way through, so the end would be blue, and have to be stripped and polished also.
  8. MikeB

MikeB New Member

Thanks to all! Mike