Winchester model 1892

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dessusim, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dessusim

dessusim New Member

Hi experts,

My dad has an old winchester model 1892 44-40 lever action, in good condition , the serial number is 842262, here is what i wanna know ?

1- Where is it from?
    2- The market value of this gun ?
    3- Where can i sell these in Canada ?

Thanks for your help !

I resized your pictures to make them fit here. IPT

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Welcome dessusim to our humble home. I resized your photo's so they can be seen better. I do not understand what you are asking by the first question. The gun was made by Winchester in the USA. The second will have to wait until either Xracer gets here or I get home to my books. I know nothing about selling guns in Canada. Maybe one of our Canadian members can help out here.

Again, welcome to our home.

IPT
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi dessusim......welcome to TFF.

1- Where is it from? Winchester Repeating Arms Co. on Henry Avenue, New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.A. Your Model 1892 rifle was made in 1916.

2- The market value of this gun ? Depends on conditon. Hard to tell from your pictures, but the value is:

V.G. - $2500 (US)
    Good - $700 (US)
    Fair - $450 (US)

Yours looks like it might fall in the "Good" category.

3- Where can i sell these in Canada ? That, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the laws or market for guns in Canada. Let's hope one of our Canadian members stops by.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I would put the condition between fair and good seeing as how the stock is cracked. JMHO! ;)
  5. dessusim

dessusim New Member

By where is it from i meant, if you could track it to it's original owner with the serial number, thank you all for your help
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You can go to the Buffalo Bill Historical Society and they can get letters of first shipments on Winchesters. Gonna have to join and pay the fee though or pay their fee. Here ya go.

Cody Firearms Museum
  7. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

My Cousin is a firearms dealer in BC in Mission. He can give you all the skinny on how to sell. From what I know - you do have to go through a dealer, but he can give you more details than I. He can likely find a buyer also. Here is his WEB site - http://demalservices.com/
  8. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello inplanotx,

The Cody Firearms Museum only has records for the first 379,999 Model 1892s manufactured, and those records do not list where, or to whom the gun was first shipped.

Regards,