Winchester Model 1894 30 WCF

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Big_John, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Big_John

Big_John New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a Winchester Model 1894 WCF that I ran the serial ## on and came back made in 1908.

I've searched dozens of sites, but have not seen a 1894 like this one:

Barrel length: 26" (Breech to tip)
    Overall length: 44.5"
    Round Barrel *Note, the first 1/2" of barrel is threaded.
    Full length magizene
    No Ghost ring
    No Ring on body
    Rear sight is on barrel, and simply has a small flip-up. No adjustment, or adjustment ramp.

Bluing is 100%
    Wood is very nice shape

I have no idea why the barrel is threaded??

If anyone can help, I can try and e-mail photos.

Thanks,
    Big J
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Big John

Good shape $1100
    Exc. Shape $1500
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

4. Big_John

Big_John New Member

That one has the Octogon barrel. My barrel is smooth from breech to end, and the last 1/2 is threaded.

The quality of mine is better as well. Bluing is perfect, wood is in better shape than the one shown.

What has me puzzled it the end of the barrel, I have no idea why it's threaded.

I've been told to insure it for over $1,000.00 but I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks for the input, I'm trying to get some digital photos of it.

~Big John
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Threaded how? Thread diameter, and pitch/TPI?
    Wild ass guess, but, since the rifle dates to 1908,and the law that taxed silencers/supressors, did not happen until 1934, you may have a custom modified, or even a factory custom, designed to shot thru a 'can'!
    Supposing this to be so, if the factory could confirm the threads, and their purpose, with a letter to the purpose of substantiating this 'extra feature', my guess is that the value of the rifle might well double, or more!!
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Agree with Stash, but "last half" is some what misleading. Is it really the last half or just a few inches at the end of the muzzle. That build date is a long way from ghost ring sights.....peeps/marble`s maybe, ghost never. The flip up rear sights add interest to me also, without an elevator slide??????
    Truely if made by Winchester and can be lettered, I would not even estimate the value and if the [original can] or repo can be found or made.....?
    Of the day, any closed action firearm can be suppressed and I have seen some odd ones, to include shotguns. So it`s not impossible, but would be rare if the treads can be dated with or close to the date of build. Threads would be important here, as it will somewhat date them. Pictures of the rear sights and muzzle end of the barrel would be worth much, and if a front sight is present?

ps/ just noticed it appears to be a half inch at the end, that is not much and doubtful long enough for a can, but maybe it was tested for one or an attempt at one or that nasty whale spear shooting attachment.

LTS
  7. Big_John

Big_John New Member

I took several photos and posted the thumbnails. I have the full versions I can e-mail.

Full left side, Full right side, threads, and the rear sight.

Take a look and see what you think.

~Big John

Attached Files:

8. Big_John

Big_John New Member

Here are a few more photos.

The Stock has a factory metal butt plate, not simply curved wood.

It's a puzzle fellas... Belonged to my grandfather, and family history on it is next to nothing.

~Big John

Attached Files:

9. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Need a better picture of the threads, side shot and how high the front sight is and a close up from the top on it`s mounting. Also and end shot of the magazine tube. Close up top view of rear sight. Interesting that the threads seem to be in excellent condition without an end cap/thread protector present. Threads do appear to be the type for suppressor type mounting. Gonna say Winchester may give a freebe for this one, if original and not the whale attachment/line shooter-ect----

LTS