Winchester Model 1894 38/55

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dsiteman, Nov 22, 2006.

1. dsiteman

dsiteman New Member

Hello,
    This rifle version, octagon barrel, not tampered with, reblued, refinished, etc. in any manner and has what appears to be near 30" barrel. Sights are still firmly attached, no looseness, finish is turning slightly due to surface browning, no pits, wood is in solid condition, some grain, swirls, etc., with no visible cracks, breaks, etc. and bore appears to me bright and shiny even under strong light inspection w/ glass. (don't have a Hawkey borescope) Was hunted with many years ago in Maine for moose, deer, black bear, but not used for past 80 years or more. Have opportunity to purchase but have no idea as to true market value. Got any suggestions or ideas as to proper value?? Thanks,
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Need the following information to come up with a value:

1. Is it the take down model?

2. Is it a deluxe model (special adjustable or tang sights, fine checkering, etc)?

3. What is the serial number?

4. Does it have a saddle ring?

5. Longest standard barrel made was 26". Anything longer would have been a rare special order. Please measure the barrel length properly by putting a dowel down the barrel until it rests against the bolt face. Mark the dowel at the muzzle and then measure its length.
  3. dsiteman

dsiteman New Member

Hello,
    Of the questions, some of those can be answered now and those are that the sights are not special order, wood is not checkered. As for serial no. can get that in a day and post. No it is not the take down version and it does not have the saddle ring. In checking again from earlier notes, the barrel is 26" in length. Been told it was mfg. in early 1900's as in 1916???
    Will verify w/ serial no. Other than the S/N remaining, does this shed more light on the value of the rifle?? Thanks
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Dsite According to my book
    Exc. Shape $1575
    Good Shape $1075
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Still need the serial number. It has a bearing on the value.
  6. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i sold mine that was made in 1901 that was reblued and in beautiful shape for $900.00 about 3 years ago. if it had not been reblued it would have been in the $1500.00 range. rebluing takes a big chunk out of it unless it was done at winchester. jusy my $.02
    bhk308