Winchester Model 21

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 4, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

TedW59
    (2/3/03 9:20:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Win M-21 Original or Upgrade?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently bought a M-21 16ga in almost NIB condition. Nice engraving with raised pointer and woodcock on the side plates and retriever head in front of the trigger guard. It's got 26" bbls marked Cyl and Imp Cyl. However when I gauge them using a Galazan brass guage, they both come out slightly larger than Cyl bore. I then looked up the S/N. At 18XXX, I think it indicates mfr in +/- 1947. It's a real nice little gun adn I paid a fair price, so I'm not complaining. But I am beginning to think this is an after market up grade or rebuild. Any one got any thoughts?

Thanks!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/3/03 11:07:53 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Win M-21 Original or Upgrade?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Ted. I don't know much about that gun but as far as the chokes go you need to measure the amount of constriction to get an accurate indication of how it is choked. This is done by measuring the bore size of the barrel and then measuring the choke at the end and subtracting.

For a 12 guage
    .000 to .001 is cylinder choke
    .002 to .006 is skeet choke
    .007 to .013 is improved cylinder
    .014 to .023 is modified choke
    .024 to .031 is improved modified choke
    .032 to /040 is full choke
    .040 and above is extra full

My chart does not show for a 16 guage, sorry, but you get the idea. These figures are only a guide anyway. THe only real way to tell is to pattern the gun at 40 yards and see which pattern each barrell shoots.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/3/03 3:34:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Win M-21 Original or Upgrade?
    Welcome to the board, Ted -

Sounds like a real nice shotgun - I'm envious!!

Please feel free to join in the discussions on all the other forums here on the board.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

TedW59
    (2/3/03 4:09:03 pm)
    Thanks for the welcome.

I am in CT and will be bringing it to Galazan's next week for a good internal cleaning, it hangs up a bit changing barrels. Before I get there tho, I'm trying to find out if its original or likely a rebuild. Don't want to look any dumber than I already may be!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/3/03 7:37:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: Win M-21 Original or Upgrade?
    The thing about 21's is that nothing is really 'standard.' The engraving you describe does not fit any of the factory standard patterns, but that particular model has always been built to order including engraving patterns.

Best to let the folks at Galazan's look it over in person.

TedW59
    (2/4/03 8:47:48 am)
    Thanks, I think yr right. Given the s/n and condition, I am assuming it's a rebuild