Winchester Model 42 (pics

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by awrandall@comcast.ne, Oct 26, 2006.

1. awrandall@comcast.ne

awrandall@comcast.ne New Member

I have a Winchester Model 42 .410 pump shotgun. It was my grandfathers. I looked up the serial number and it is dated 1937. It functions perfectly. There is some wear to the bluing on the reciver and end of the barrel but overall it is in great shape. The stock is darker on the last 1/3 because of a recoil pad. What could I expect to get for it via online auciton?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Re: Winchester Modle 42 (pics

Do a Google search for online gun auctions and see what the mod 42 is selling for.

Edit: I went ahead and did the search for you. The two mod 42's I saw on auction were from $1500 - $3700.....no bids. This may not be the case on your shotgun. Someone will be along in a while to give you a Blue Book value.

The shotgun may sell for more by putting an ad in Shotgun News.
  3. awrandall@comcast.ne

They are selling between $500 and $1400. I'm would like some help on narrowing down the price range. :)
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I did another search and found one for $1100. Still no bids. Sorry.
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Well heres what it has going for it:

It`s a Winchester
    It`s a 410.

This is the standard grade no rib model.

410`s command a premium, here`s where it goes the other way.
    This is an average condition gun and the stock is a killer (why anyone put a slip-on recoil pad on a 410 is beyond me-the damage is done)

There were five grades of this shotgun and as such this is the fifth in line.

It might collect $800.00 and might is the key word.

Condition on these is king---a quality Winchester 410 minty (and that doesn`t mean for age as some suspect, mint means NEW)
    10K and more on some models.

This one will have a hard climb to the $800 mark.

Nice piece though!

LTS
  6. awrandall@comcast.ne

Thanks for the info! I have no idea why the recoil pad was put on the stock. I don't know how long it was on there. I just took it off before the pics. I was an old lace up leather type. Should I the stock have it refinished? Will that help or hurt the value? Again, thanks for the help.
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Do not refinish the stock unless you know a master gunsmith. In order for these types of guns to be redone, you will need the exact varnish mixture and color for that year Winchester. They didn`t paint the same thing on every gun.

You would be best served by replacing the recoil pad, since I assume it is of period to this piece.

I don`t know that I could ever part with one of these--let alone from my Grandfather......even if I wasn`t a shooter.

LTS
  8. awrandall@comcast.ne

Now that I have found out more about this gun I'm not so sure I want to sell it. I never knew my Grandfather and it was given to me by my Dad who never shot it. I didn't even know he had it until I was 20.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I have one of these no frills models in slightly better condition than yours. I paid $500 for it, and I doubt I could sell it for much more, possibly a max of $600.
  10. onlywinchesters

onlywinchesters New Member

Hello awrandall: Sweeeeet! That's a clean looking pre-war Md 42 with a 28 inch barrel. All you have to do is go over to www.brandx.com or www.auctionarms.com and do a search on what has sold in the last 90 days.

You will find that your gun will bring in somewhere between $900-$1250 without a problem! there's one on auctionarms that's been reblued and the stocks redone, it's already over $900.

As to the "slip on recoil pad" if you are about 6 ft tall or taller it's a quick way to lengthen the stock. These guns being on such a small frame feel short to a tall person. don't worry about the discolor.

wonderwhippet I'll buy them all day long for $500! If they are pre-war and in the condition like this one here.

Regards Dave
  11. milammw

milammw New Member

12. milammw

milammw New Member

Hello AWRandall,
    I would suggest you not sell the Model 42 .410. It looks a lot like one I inherited from my Grandfather that I had the privaledge to know. When I was much younger and a whole lot sillier, I sold it for $485 to get money for something I felt at the time I needed much more. Since then I have grown up (now just turning 58 today - 4/20), and for sentimental reasons have been looking to obtain one to replace it and have seen that for one that looks in good condition, I would have to expect to pay $1500 to $2000. I would say that despite the condition I note yours is in from what I ascertain from your photos, you shouldn't take less than $1000 to $1200. If you do take less, drop me a note and I'll try to talk the missus into it! (E-Mail milamm@suddenlink.net). However, let me reiterate that I wouldn't sell it at all! Money comes and goes - but memories last forever. God Bless and Regards ...Mike Milam.....
  13. bjd1246

bjd1246 New Member

I have a .410 model 42 that was my grandfather's. He died before I was born . I am 61. My father died at age 30 from luekemia in 1952. He was a U.S.Marine Corps. Captain in WW II. He stayed in the reserves after WWII. I would never sell the gun . My father was an outdoorsman. We lived in Arkansas. We had a bird dog. He hunted with this gun and others which were sold. My mother kept this one for me. It is my connection to my father and grandfather. It is worth more than any sum of money.
  14. butcher

butcher New Member

I to have a 42 inherited from my dad who inherited it from my grandfather. I use it all the time. Usually get lots of comments on it. Shoots great and works like most old winchesters do. I to would buy them all day for 500. Keep it, or contact me.
  15. artabr

artabr New Member

That's one shotgun that I've always wanted.
    Just to have. Sweet gun.

Welcome to the forum, butcher.

Art
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008