The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester Model 42

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
I have a Winchester Model 42 (sn 10642) that my father just left me. please peruse the pictures and is its not too much trouble, let me know its value...

Thanks,

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Now that is a beautiful little shotgun. I wish it were mine and if I were younger I would buy it off you. It is the 410 version of the MD12. I see it has a ventilated rib on it. I believe that it could be a skeet model.
I will not even venture a guess of it's value. Except to say, please don't sell it cheep. It is at least worth 500 dollars and maybe a lot more, much more.

#4 ·
Bert H. will hopefully chime in on this--there are some discrepancies in Winchester serial number year attributions found on the web. If the info I found is correct, or close, your gun dates from the 1930s. If so, it is in either in mint condition OR it has been reblued and the wood refinished--I'm thinking the latter. If so, that would seriously impact the value. They were also reproduced twenty or thirty years ago.

Values are all over the board, depending on features--grade, barrel length, ventilated rib, etc.

#5 ·
I just went to the internet and the prices ranged from 1,500 and up. But like buffalochip said it all depends on condition and amenities and if it has been refinished etc. I cannot stress enough that you SHOULD NOT try to even clean it up or refinish it in any way.
From the information I have the gun was made in 1953.

#7 ·
Nice shotgun John. Certainly something you'll want to hold on to. Now.......as I'm no expert a couple of things jumped out at me. A first glance the finish on the stock and forend don't appear to match. The forend looks correct but the stock looks much more dull. Is that the case? If so someone has refinished the stock which will decrease the value. Also, many of these shotguns had ribs added after the fact which I believe is another detractor. Can't tell from the pics so try and give some nice close ups of the rib. Yours was manufactured in I believe 1934 which was only the second year of production but makes me question the rib being original even more. There are a few guys here that know all about these shotguns and will be able to give you clear information but that's about as good as I can do.
On another note, that being it called a shrunken down version of the Model 12 isn't really accurate. While they have a similar appearance from the outside the action within is completely different.
If it wasn't a 1934 I'd be more comfortable in my guess on a value but here's what I think. Unmodified I bet it would fetch around $1500 pretty quickly. There is one in a local shop I frequent that has one there with an $1800 price tag but it's been sitting there for 9-12 months that I know of which tells me it's overpriced. If it has been modified I'd guess you have a $700-$800 dollar gun.

Wish I could be more help

#8 ·
This gun is completely original. I just talked to my father (he is 89), and he said its been behind glass since 1954 when he purchased it...he told me that it was one of the jewels of his collection and that I shouldn't take anything less the $4,000.00 for it, I just wanted to see what it was really worth in the real world. Here are some closeup pictures.

Attachments

#9 ·
John,

I'm not trying to tell your baby's ugly, it just doesn't look quite right to me. Even with the closeups you have now posted. Here are some pics I just took of my Model 42 and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also with your father buying the shotgun after it was 20 years old who knows what had been done in that time. Hopefully I'm completely wrong and you have a $10000 gun there.

Attachments

#11 ·
Gotcha,

So in order to give you an accurate value we're going to need a few more pics. I know "what a pain". Take pictures of every stamping and proof mark you can find as well as where the stock and buttplate meet and where the stock and receiver come together. And lastly, if there is any writing or marking on the rib. All this will be needed to verify a few things.

#12 ·
Here you go. If you need anymore, just ask...Thanks Firpo!

Attachments

#14 ·
I see that too Buffalochip. And if these are all the markings it makes me suspect even more that the rib has been added after the fact. I believe there should be a PW inside a circle on both the receiver and barrel. When the rib was added it covered up the one on the barrel. I know John was hoping to hear something different but what I think we're looking at here is a field grade 42 that has had the stock sanded and a rib added.

John,

To address your father's statement of having a $4K shotgun I just don't think that's what you have here. While these shotguns have become a collectors piece non-modified field grade shotguns aren't anywhere near that price. And to a collector, who would be the one willing to shell out the big bucks they want one that is in original, factory condition. Any changes or modifications drastically decrease the guns value. For now I'm going to stick with my original estimate. Hopefully someone will come by that will tell me I'm full of beans. Good Luck

Reactions: lcn
#15 ·
I think the problem with Winchester appraisal is everyone thinks they have the holy grail because it says Winchester on it.I lived near a place in Me that specialized in collectable Winchesters,sat there for 2hrs once while the owner gave a 1873 a forensic exam worthy of a coroners office.Why because depending on MANy different features,we were talking about a 1000 rifle versus a 25,000 rifle.He finally determined a fair market value was 8000,owner was convinced it was worth a lot more.But in the age of 12million dollar Ferraris,I guess anything goes.

#16 ·
The serial number identifies it as being manufactured in early September 1933. Unfortunately, that is where the good news ends.

Your Model 42 is a standard Field grade gun. The Vent Rib is positively an after market item (not original to the gun), and the gun was refinished after it was installed. Consequently, it is not worth anywhere near $4000. A realistic value is closer to $800, though there are a few people out there that would most likely pay a few hundred more for it.

Just because your father did nothing to it from when he purchased it in 1954 until now does not mean that the gun is unaltered. That gun was 21-years old when he bought it.

Bert H.

#17 ·
So where did Mr. Model 42 go? No thanks for the help or anything of the like. I guess he's just a bozo that didn't like what he herd so all good manners went out the window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.