winchester model 54 help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sears640@cox.net, Nov 29, 2009.

1. sears640@cox.net

sears640@cox.net New Member

I have a old model 54 30-06 that needs some attention, does anyone have any info or parts for this rifle? cant seem to find anything.Recieved this rifle from a deceased relative and cant seem to find any parts for rifle.Is it worth fixing? needs trigger guard,peep sites,and a new stock would be nice. any info will be appeciated. Barrell seems to be in good shape it is marked with 30govt06 thanks
  2. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

Well, I'm pretty sure it's worth getting fixed up, it would have to have more wrong with it than what you describe for me not to want to get it going again. You can try http://www.jackfirstgun.com for parts. If the stock is not broken then cleaning it up would be preferable to an aftermarket replacement. The trigger guard is probably the hardest thing you will have to find. The receiver sight could have been originally a Lyman or other manufacturer and you probably can find that somewhere or it could be replaced by a currently manufactured sight from Williams. Keeping if faithful to the original will create a more valuable rifle and make us old gun guys happier, if you want just a shooter then go for whatever turns you on, drill an tap for a scope, drop it in a McMillian stock, the skys the limit. You've got a good start on a real nice rifle.

Tarheel
  3. sears640@cox.net

Ive tried jackfirst he has nothing I would like to keep original I just dont know where to find parts. as for the stock someone had refinished then painted over it with green paint.ive tyried to remove paint to find the refinished stock.so i wanted an original stock i found a replica that i didnt like thanks for the info I'll keep looking
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

There is a company now making the famous Blackburn extended magazine called CNC Specialty Products Incorporated. You might want to give them a call, keeping in mind it won't be original and it will be expensive. Also just because the stock was cut for a rear receiver sight doesn't necessarily mean that it came with one. If there is a rear sight on the barrel it probably did not have a peep/receiver sight as well. You also might want to check with Numrich Arms.

Ron
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. sears640@cox.net

thanks for the info