Winchester Model 59

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 4, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

STR8ARROW
    (1/28/03 10:17:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Winchester Model 59
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to the site, Just found this site in searching for information on a Winchester model 59.

A coworker asked if I would be interested in purchasing it and quoted $150. I want to be as fair as possible and $150 sounded a bit low. I have found everything from the mid $300's to $550.

I'm not sure of the condition, all I know is it has a 30" Winlite barrel.

Any more info would be helpful.

Oh yeah - Awesome site.

Thanks
    -arrow.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 10:38:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester Model 59
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to TFF, StraightArrow -

Hope you enjoy the board and will join us in all the other forums here.

Winchester Model 59 autoloader, 12 Ga w/3 shot magazine. Introduced 1959, discontinued 1965.

Mint condition - $375
    Exc condition - $250
    VGood cond - $200
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/29/03 5:55:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | De
    Re: Winchester Model 59
    In order to bring good money, the Model 50 and subsequent Model 59 must be in nice condition. Things to watch for specifically on that shotgun are receiver cracks by the bolt handle and the serial number, and separating barrel layers. The Win-Lite barrels are a composite fiberglass/steel affair that are prone to separate with abuse or neglect.

If all is well, $150 is a good price and I would jump on it. I would not go out of my way to spend more on a Model 59, though. If you get it, realize that it is NOT going to be an every-hunt shotgun. Should it break or the barrel separate, they are expensive to fix.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/29/03 8:35:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester Model 59
    Doc....can those composite barrels be changed to all-steel ones? And how difficult is it to do? Does it ruin the balance of the gun?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/29/03 3:23:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    You know, I've never done it but I dont see why not. As far as ruining the balance, it would be no different than, say, a Franchi 48AL.

STR8ARROW
    (1/29/03 9:11:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Winchester Model 59
    Thanks for the input.

I'm not familiur with the composate barrel, will need to find more info on that. I did notice a small (dime size) marr on the barrel, probably a couple of mil's deep. Would that weaken the barrel at all?

-Arrow.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/30/03 11:02:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Depends on what you mean by mar, but probably not.