Winchester Model 61 .22 SS or RL

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Nickr600, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Nickr600

Nickr600 New Member

Hey guys I just recently got a Winchester Model 61 .22 SS or RL from my grandpa, the modle number is 233320. BUT here is the problem, about fourty five years ago he and his buddy on the police force he thought it would be a good idea to get it chrome plated, all the metal at a near by chrome plating place, :)mad: mistake i know). The condition of the wood is good, very few nicks and dings, and it has the screw in the action, the barrel is round. If you could give me some estimates as to what is worth id appreciate it, thank you very much.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Okay, you got a Model 61, 22 pump, in 22 S, L and LR, take-down, SN 233320. Made in 1956, and fairly desirable, until your grandpa screwed the pooch by chroming it. If it was still blue, probably a minimum of 500, up to much more. Chromed - maybe 150.
  3. Nickr600

Nickr600 New Member

Thank yall for all yall opinions, here are some pictures. [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  4. Nickr600

Nickr600 New Member

Does everyone else agree that this gun would bring tops of 150$, i ask this because my neighbor saw this this morning and offered me a ruger 9 MM semi-auto pistol with a holster and two clips for a trade, He seemed very interested (almost TOO interested) this is why i started doing research on why he wanted this gun so badly.... Would this be a good trade, or not, his pistol gun is about 3-4 years old, used condition.
  5. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

I would expect you would get more than $150, you could part it out for more than that. If you put it on an online auction for a "buy it now" of $250 it probably wouldn't last an hour. Depending on the Ruger's condition etc I don't think that would be a terrible trade if you want the Ruger.

Good luck
    Tarheel
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

I usually agree with Alpo but after seeing the pictures I would think you could get a least twice that amount because it is so different and it appears to be a nice job. My biggest concern would be if it functioned properly because chroming adds metal and it may have screwed up tolerances. Also I would agree with Alpo about the pooch. :D

Ron
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

After looking at the pix, I'm gonna have to agree with muddobber, and raise my initial guesstimate. I don't think the price would double, though. Guns have, in my opinion, two values. There is the value that has as a used 22 rifle, made by a reputable company with a solid track record of reliability. Then there is the value as a collector's item. Collectors change over the years, and what they might like today may very well be totally different from what they liked ten years ago. But one thing gun collectors seem to insist on is originality. Because of the refinish, the collector value for this is, if not nil, very close to it.

But, it looks like an excellent job, and if, as he mentioned, it functions correctly, I'd push my guess up to between 2 and 250. More than that, I think, is just more than a "shooter" is worth.
  8. tstamm2013

tstamm2013 New Member

i have the same gun but no chrome and is worth at tops 600 and with the chrome you might get 200 out of it