Winchester Model 61 -- EX with Original Box

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bronco, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco New Member

Hello All --

I recently ran across a Winchester Model 61 -- 22 rifle.

The rifle is in Excellent condition according to grading scales I have been able to look at on the internet.

Condition & particulars to the best of my ability:

It belongs to the original owner who bought it new around 1952.

No blue missing.

No scratches.

Approximately 80 - 100 rounds shot thru it -- cleaned -- put away -- never shot or handled since 1952 -- always kept in the house -- still in the original Winchester box it came in (box in very good shape).

Serial number is: 164339

Questions:

What is it worth?

How can we sell it for the best price?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am new at this, although I do repair and restore older fishing reels and belong to some tackle forums -- firearm values are new to me -- and I appreciate the experts guidance.

Sincerely,

Fred Oakes
    559-451-7316
    f_oakes@yahoo.com
    Fresno, CA, USA
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Hi Fred and welcome.

Please don't be tempted to repair or restore this gun as you do with fishing reels. In fact, don't even touch it ... just smile at it.

M-61's have a great deal of value depending upon caliber (22 short, long or long rifle) and barrel type. If yours is "like new" (fired) in the original box, it may be worth $700. Or, perhaps, much, much more.

Winchester introduced the Model 61 in 1932 in an attempt to keep pace with its competitors' hammerless 22 rifles. The 61 featured a 24" round or octagonal barrel and could be ordered by the customer in various configurations. Collector interest in this rifle is high due to the fact that so many variations were offered.

Pre-war rifles command the most; yours appears to be post WWII given the date of purchase. To help you establish value we will need the caliber and barrel type. Photos would be helpful as well.
  3. Bronco

Bronco New Member

Thanks for your help, Contenderizer --

It has a round barrel.

I'll take some pics of the Model 61 as soon as I can -- I'm at the office now -- so probably won't get the pics up until tomorrow.

Don't worry -- even if it needed restoring (it doesn't), I wouldn't touch it. It is the same with most old fishing reels -- better left to the next owner. Any tampering with the original condition would lend suspicion that something is being hidden -- or would at the very least lessen the value.

Once we establish the value -- we will sell this gun to someone.

Thanks, Fred
  4. Bronco

Bronco New Member

Hello again --

The barrel is round, the caliber is 22S, Long or Long Rifle.

I will try to attach 4 pics -- that is what looks like is allotted on this board.

Thanks for your help --

All the Best, Fred

Attached Files:

5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Hi Fred,

I confirmed the age of your gun using the serial number; it was manufactured in 1951, which fits with the information you provided. Accordingly, your gun is known as a Postwar Model. Postwar 61's with a round barrel that fire 22 S, L, and LR are the most common found. M-61's were manufactured between 1932 and 1963, and approx 340,000 were made.

As you know from your tackle business, items that have collector interest are often difficult to value because collectors sometime do crazy things. Having said that, the books that I have indicate the following:

New In Box: $1,500
    Exc: $700

Your gun is not "new in box" because it was fired, so I would guess the value to be somewhere in between the two. I know that's a wide gap, but I am not an expert on Winchesters and its the best I can currently offer. In any case, the books are only a guide and the final price will be determined by the buyer and seller. Perhaps some of our Winchester aficionados will jump in and help (by the way, if your gun was chambered for 22 LR only it would be worth 300% more; 22 S only, 500% more).

As for selling the gun, if I were you, I would contact some of the on line auction houses and see what they say. I would also take the gun to my nearest Cabela's, who seem to do a good job of selling older collectibles. After getting their opinions I probably would have a much better handle on value.
  6. Bronco

Bronco New Member

Thank You so much for your information --

The next step is to sell the gun -- does anyone has any additional ideas?

There are no Cabelas in our area.

All the Best,

Fred Oakes
    f_oakes@yahoo.com
    559-451-7316
  7. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Fred, perhaps a bit more description would help. Most everyone uses the % system, with 100% being new never fired(hopefully) an hardly touched y human hands. Tell us if there is any wear or scratched to the barrel, receiver mag tube or wood. any dents or blemishes. there are many guns that fall into the 98% condition, which is what most collecters are after. a breif condition of the cosmetics would be a big help. Perhaps U may get a nice offer rite here on TFF. U WILL get more in a private sale then form a dealer(Cabellas or otherwise) and probably more than from auction, hey U gotta pay the "vig" (commission). Just 1 ol brokendown dubblecluttches view but I have bin messin around with the dubble deauce for a week or 2---Capeesh?:cool:

AND IS THAT BOX NUBERED TO THE GUN AND WOT KINDA SHAPE IS IT IN?
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  8. Bronco

Bronco New Member

Yes, I capeesh -- and I understand & appreciate all of your ideas...

There are (2) tiny surface scratches in the stock -- they are very tiny and will not show up in the pics.

A little travel wear on the slide.

No scratches on the receiver, barrel, etc.

The serial number on the box matches the (2) serial numbers on the gun.

Box is as you see it -- intact cardboard, no rips or tears, good graphics, slight edge wear, matching serial number as mentioned, slight staining from age -- but overall very decent.

The guy who has this gun is a good friend of mine. He is 70 years old. He also has a Crossman .177 & a Marlin Model 81 .22 bolt action. When he was 12 he received the pellet gun -- when he was 13 he received the Marlin & when he was 14, he earned enough money working part time in his Dad's Indian Motorcycle shop to buy the Winchester. He shot less than a couple of 50-round boxes through the gun before his family moved to an area that he could not use the gun in anymore. After that he just lost interest & has had it stored in his closet all of these years.

We expect to sell and transfer the gun properly through the right channels.

He also wants to sell the pellet gun and the other 22 also.

Thanks & Best Regards, Fred
  9. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

as U describe it , at least $800 in yur pocket:cool:

the box "muy importante" makes the gun!!:cool:
  10. Bronco

Bronco New Member

Thank You All for your expert opinions -- Very helpful...

Now we just need to figure out what we would be willing to take for the gun -- and then find the right venue -- auction, private party, word of mouth, advertise, etc?

Best, Fred
  11. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Put it up rite here on TFF in the buy, sell, trade thread. U could ask for best offer, or put a absolute $$ amount or
    a combination of the 2----Asking $1200 or best offer. or something like that. No charge for posting here, just make sure U get a current INK SKGNED FFL to the shipping address and a cashiers check or USPS money order before U ship. I always pay out bound shipping but thats me. most everone wants the buyer to pay shipping. And givd a 3 day look-see period. if buyer does not want it he pays return shipping. Good Luck!!:cool: