Winchester model 62 help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Joe B, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Joe B

Joe B New Member

I just came across a rifle I purchased 31 years ago and basically forgot that I had. It's a Winchester model 62 pump action 22 rifle and from the little research I have done so far, I think it's a pre war model with 5 digit serial number starting with numbers 88. I would say it's in very good condition but unfortunately it has two holes drilled and taped into the left side were the shells will eject from and I assume it was for a scope. I am sure this will hurt the value of the gun, but can I get some help as to what this may be worth ? I have no need for it and would like to sell it at a fair price. Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Joe,

Your right, your Winchester model 62 with serial number 88XXX was made around 1939 and probably has the short, about 6 inches long, fore end with 10 grooves. They are pretty neat 22's.

Yes, unfortunately, it has two extra holes in the left side of the receiver. Usually a scope mount required 4 holes but I suspect there may have been scope bases that needed only two holes. Or else some type of receiver mounted peep sight.

Regardless, it hurts the value of your 62. My estimate for an all original model 62 of 1939 vintage in excellent condition with some minor blue and wood finish wear would be in the $800 to $1000 neighborhood. My guess for your gun with the extra holes would be maybe around half the value of an original gun.

I have a 4 digit serial number model 61 with 2 extra holes on top of the receiver and 1 in the barrel that I paid much less than half what it might have been without the holes.

Hope we can get some more input from others.

Jolly
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

I would think that the gun if in nice shape it would bring 300 to 400 dollars. If you think about any decent new 22 will cost near that and as far as I am concerned these little pump guns are some of the best ever made.

Ron
  4. Joe B

Joe B New Member

Thanks for your help.