Winchester model 62 pre-war---Help!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ccoggin, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ccoggin

ccoggin New Member

I have a winchester model 62 serial number 41306A which makes it a 1936 I believe. However, the butt stock and forearm stock do not look right. The butt has a curved metal plate and they both have markings like they have been hand craved. Are these original or homemade or what? Over all condition on gun is probably 25%. The gun shows some rust and is missing or has the wrong screws. Operates correctly. Also what would be a value? I can email pictures, it won't let me post them on here due to size.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Do you have a photo editing program to reduce the size? If you have Windows 7, click on the logo in the lower left, then on "pictures". The program lets you reduce a picture size for e-mailing, which you can also use for posting here.

Jim
  3. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

November of 1936 is when it was manufactured. The butt stock & plate sounds like they may have come off of a Model 1890. Regardless, they are not original factory parts for a Model 62.

Bert H.
  4. ccoggin

ccoggin New Member

Thanks for the info, but I have another question. The butt stock is fairly loose does anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten it up?
  5. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

It is loose because it was not made for your rifle. I doubt that there is any way to tighten it up short of adding filler material to the areas that are undersized.

Bert H.