Winchester Model 69A target?<<<DOC!>>>

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

WINCOLT
    (3/24/02 9:45:34 am)
    Reply Winchester Model 69A target?<<<DOC!>>>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I love collecting and shooting pre-64 winchester 22's. I recently purchased a winchester model 69A rifle and I am not sure what exact variation it is. The 69A has a factory milled, drilled, and tapped reciever that was made for a 80A rear sight. I was told that the standard models have a dove tail milled into the barel for the rear sight (which my 69A doesn't). I read that the target models had a heavy non-tapered barrel and my barrel is tapered some but still is beefy at the muzzle. Since the reciever is for a 80A rear sight does that make it a target rifle? I am so confused on this model and any help would be greatly appreciated. If it helps the gun has been factory milled for a scope mount on top and has a chrome trigger guard and bolt handle.

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 3/26/02 4:29:22 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 10:19:45 am)
    Reply Re: Winchester Model 69A target?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 69A was a upgraded 69. The 69 cocks on closing, the "A" on opening. Three models of this rifle.

69A Standard
    Match/ w/Lyman #57EW receiver sight
    Target/w/Winchester rear peep sight, swivels and sling

Factory grooved receivers command 20-25% more.
    T.F.F.

WINCOLT
    (3/24/02 12:17:11 pm)
    LTS...............Are you saying that the recievers that are made for 80A rear sights is the target variation? I just want to be sure of what I have. It has a 80A reciever, tapered barrel and a heavier stock than standard models. I haven't seen the reciever for a match rifle. Is it similar to a 80A reciever only with a adapter to take the lyman 57 rear sight or is it a totaly another reciever all together as far as having 2 holes drilled in the reciever rather than 3 that is in the 80A reciever.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 1:04:44 pm)
    This would just be a guess without a picture, and Doc would know better than I. But here`s my guess. Since it has the tapered barrel and heavier stock, I would guess "Match Model".
    My reasoning for this is based on this:

The standard did not have a heavy barrel or stock.
    The Target has sling and swivels on it`s stock, but this would be hard to know if original....because some were added by the owners. I also believe that most "target" barrels from that era....are 13/16" for the full length (not tapered). Original rear sights would be a dead giveaway. Thats all the help I can provide until Doc, spanks me with his vast knowledge. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.

WINCOLT
    (4/9/02 7:54:00 am)
    I guess that the good Dr. has no information to share on the subject. Does anyone else have that vital info for me?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/9/02 8:20:12 am)
    WINCOLT, Doc just has not seen this, I would venture to guess. I changed the header to get attention, but he does look here ever so often. Shoot him an email (click on his name) and mention this thread. He`ll help you all he can. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/9/02 8:55:34 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Winchester Model 69A target?
    That's me, day late and a dollar short.

The Match rifles are exactly the same as the Target rifles except the Match rifles are fitted with the Lyman 57 receiver sight. The Target rifles had the #80 rear sight and the #75 front. Neither had rear sight seats milled into the barrel, and the stocks were the same between the two (but different from the standard 69A).

Sounds like you have a 69A Target rifle made c.1950-54.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

WINCOLT
    (4/25/02 9:07:22 am)
    I thank you both Antique Dr. and like 2 shoot. You have helped me thru a difficult call and I appreciate all of your help. I will be buying the winchester book very soon also, so I don't have to bug you guys anymore than I have to. Thanks again. WIN-COLT
  2. ole iron sights

ole iron sights New Member

hope ya dont mind popping in here, but maybe you can give me a hand here as well... 3 parts company but no one seems to know his name x-cept "69" model Winchester. stock is wrong , it is skinny , but no ruoted indents for fingers...and well you can see the rest?...... any info here?......... thanks...

Attached Files: