Winchester Model 70 .270

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MadMedic, Nov 5, 2006.

1. MadMedic

MadMedic New Member

Winchester Model 70 .270 (LARGE PICS)

I am a total newby to rifles of any kind, but I just inherited a Winchester Model 70 in .270. I don't know ANYTHING about it. My father-in-law just passed and my MIL gave it to me. The serial number is 285833 and on the bottom plate it says Super Grade. There is a scope and a sling on it (I don't know if that is standard or an add on). He lived in Mesa Arizona (no rust) but it does have some wear around the bolt handle on the wood. Since I don't hunt, I will probably sell it but don't want to get ripped off. Does anyone have any clues what it is and what it may be worth?

Thanks for your help!
    Nick
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  2. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO MM, serial # indicates 1953 bild date. This takes it into the pre-1964 COLLECTOR status. U say it is a Super grade, another plus. condition is everything, metal, wood, bore etc. Blue Book values (this is a GUIDE) not written in stone
    98%$2000\95%$1600\90%$1150\80%$1000
    The sling and scope is a plus, whot kind of scope ie Weaver K10, Redfield 3x9??.Can add $100 or more but most buyers figger the sling an scope as a "go along"
    Pre 64 Winchesters are considered the "cream" and the riflemans rifle. VERY collectible. B4 U sell do some homework. Look it up on www. Guns America or WWW. Gunbroker or Auction Arms or buy a copy of the Gun Digest newspaper, formerly the Gunlist
    Havin sed alladat IB goonna makeU mos genrus ofer a $500 American, IB B'n da woikin mans fren jus ast NE1 on dis site cept dat dam fool frumda chipfacteree, cuse dat suker gonna tellU nuthin but lyz:cool:
  3. MadMedic

MadMedic New Member

Since it cost me nothing, $500 is all gravy to me. As I said, I don't have a clue on value and I don't know anyone in my area (Phoenix) that would even be interested. No safe place to keep it and I don't really want to leave it unsecured in my house. As I am heading back to Iraq in a few months, I need to get rid of it soon. Guess I'll throw it in the paper for the $500. Thanks for the help!

Nick
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

nick, 'throw it in the paper' for 1500, US, and negotiate down, if you must!
    A pre '64 WIN m-70 will suport a grand, asking, assuming it has not been dragged more than 10 or 15 miles, behind a Jeep; a Supergrade, with pretty wood, and decent metal, more than twice that!
    Don't know the laws, where you are at, but most states, if you continue to pay the interest (very high- 20%/ mo, in Tx), a pawn shop will continue to store your rifle, or other pawned goods, and take full responsibility for their conditiion, until you redeem them; of course, while the 'rate' is high, if you pawned it for ten bucks, the monthly storage would be two dollars, and, they are legally responsible, forever!
    Please do not throw away a rifle that later, you may say, "I wish I had", about! This is an extremely desirable rifle, in an extremely desirable caliber, that will make you money, whenever you sell it, but the longer you hold it, the more you will gain!!!
    If the above is a problem, simply get it to me, and it will be in my safe until you come to claim it, no charge!
  5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

well stash haddit rite til he got 2 da part about "ship it 2 me". he jus wanna uzit 2 nocover suma dem texs jakrabitz. If U can post a piture or 2 or 3. an wot kinda scope? If is wotchu say itiz, ol IB gonna sendU $500 American thas rite!!
  6. MadMedic

MadMedic New Member

Here are a few pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. MadMedic

MadMedic New Member

P.S. The scope says "Weaver K4" but nothing else on it...
  8. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

The scope mebbe $40-$50. IB dun C no pics?? where deyat??:cool:
  9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

what them little red X's:)
  10. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Hawk, them lil redx's dundo nuthin 4me. deyB jus redx'z:cool:
  11. MadMedic

MadMedic New Member

12. MadMedic

MadMedic New Member

Hopefully that will work. Too much planning and too many arrangements I have to take care of before I leave. I'm about ready to just dump it. Sorry to pester you guys. And thanks for all the help! Nick
  13. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

:eek: :eek: When I clicked on your links, I got the following message:

Let me see if I can figure out how to outsmart this thing ... ;)
  14. SouthernMoss

Ok, I figured out how to "steal" the pictures from your site. Here are the first three:

Attached Files:

15. SouthernMoss

And the last two:

Attached Files: