Winchester Model 70 30-06 Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by the7defields, May 28, 2006.

1. the7defields

the7defields New Member

Hi. I oculd use a bit of help trying to value a gun. I have heard and read on your site that a pre-64 model 70 has some value to it. How do you tell if it is a pre-64? Here is what I have and would like to get an estimated value.

Winchester -- Model 70 -- 30-06 SPRG. Made in New Haven Conn. U.S. of America, Winchester proof steel. It is stamped with a marking that looks like a W over a P. The serial number is 293218. It has a "Bear Cub" Kollmorgen Optical Corp. Northampton Mass scope 2 3/4X on Redfield mounts.

As for the gun's shape. The blueing is pretty much worn off. The gun was used by both my father and me for hunting so the stock does have scratches and is Marred. The wood on the stock is multi colored (Light front end and butt and the rest is medium colored wood. It still shoots great though. I didn't want to part with this gun, but we are moving to England and then on to Romania and can't take it there.

Sure do appreciate it.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi the7defields.....welcome to TFF.

All pre-64 Winchester Model 70's have a serial number below 700,000. Your particular Model 70 was made in 1952.

Assuming that yours is a Standard Grade Model 70, it's Blue Book value is:

70% - $415
    60% - $375

Pre-64 Model 70's are, indeed, worth more than the later models.....but, in a common caliber (.30-06, the most common they made), and in the condition you describe, you'll be lucky to get more than about $250-275 for it. The scope may add a bit to the value.....but not much.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome THE7 their are too many model 70 variants too list without a certain model
  4. the7defields

the7defields New Member

Thanks Xracer. Not bearing bad news to me as I was going to sell it for $175 to a friend, but he'd asked me to check the value before I gave him a price as he knew a bit about the pre-64 deal. Thank you for the quick reply.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I'd say that if the bore is good and the action is tight, in the condition you've described, that's a very fair price.....in fact, I'd call it a bargain.

While pre-64 Model 70's are more valuable than the later ones, the post-WWII 70's in the most common calibers (.30-06 & .270) aren't really collector pieces (yet).....but they still make fine hunting arms.
  6. Just to add a bit more info, the7: the reason the pre 64s are generally more valuable is because Winchester used more-expensive-to-manufacture milled instead of stamped parts up until that year. Generally, this equates to a more precisely fitting and more accurate barreled action.