Winchester Model 70 in 257 Roberts

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by umasterlink, Jul 27, 2013.

1. umasterlink

umasterlink New Member

I recently was given a Winchester Model 70 in 257 Roberts. I know nothing about this rifle. The serial is 69307 and it has seen better days. But it does not look too bad. A little heavy rust on the outside of the end of the barrel. The inside of the barrel looks smooth to me. I have heard that 257 Roberts is a great cartridge.
    I would love to know when it was made?
    How do I find the right person to clean this up so I can shoot it?
  2. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

The serial number tells me that it was manufactured in late February of 1947. The .257 Roberts is a classic deer cartridge.

Can you post pictures of it, and clear pictures of the rusty areas?

Bert H.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. umasterlink

umasterlink New Member

Thanks for that info. Here are some photos. The worst rust is on the last 3-4 inches of the exterior of the barrel. There are some light rust marks on the barrel but they stop by before you reach the stock. There is a ton of rust on the scope, but unless someone tells me that scope is some great treasure I would be switching it out for something modern.
    I am pretty excited about using this rifle for deer season. My Rem 700 is just not as cool as this rifle.
    Let me know if there are specific areas/parts/close-ups you would like to see.

Attached Files:

4. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

In addition to the rust issues (which do need immediate attention), the stock has been altered (modified) as well. I will suggest that you check your local yellow pages for a gunsmith and take the rifle to him to get it cleaned up. Unfortunately, your rifle has very little "collector" value remaining. If it cleans up well, and the bore is good, it will make a classy hunting rifle.

Bert H.
  5. umasterlink

umasterlink New Member

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what has been done to the stock? Just curious.
  6. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

The aluminum butt plate is not factory original.

Bert H.
  7. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

You should be able to find a replacement butt plate for this gun. The wood was cut straight to begin with, so if the wood hasn't been altered in some other way the stock can be returned to near original condition. You can take some WD40 and some 0000 steel wool and rub the rust lightly to clean it up a bit and stop the active rust--you don't need to pay a gunsmith to do that.
  8. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

The stock has been altered (cut) for the butt plate currently on it. The original checkered steel butt plate has a widows peak at the top that was inletted into the wood... that portion of the stock has been trimmed back.

In regards to cleaning the rust, WD40 and 0000 is not the preferred method. Buy a can of Kroil and a few pure copper wood scrub pads. Soak the rusty areas in the Kroil for at least 12-hours, then wet a copper pad with Kroil and gently scrub all of the rust off.

Bert H.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  9. whirley

whirley Member

As for the .257 Roberts cartridge, it's a good deer cartridge, but IMO factory loads underperform. Mine is on a Mauser action, and the longer magazine lets me load heavier bullets out to where they almost touch the rifling. Accuracy is excellent, recoil is moderate and it's very effective on mule deer, antelope out to 300 yards. Works on black bear also with heavier bullets. Enjoy a good cartridge and a well made rifle. Get a good water resistant scope.
  10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

NEVER EVER use WD-40 on your gun.This stuff turns to hard like enamel and is a pain to clean off.
    I have had many guns brought in because they don't work after the owner used this and let it sit.
    Mike
  11. umasterlink

umasterlink New Member

By "soak" do you mean submerge or just coat the area and let it sit? I have never used Kroil before.
  12. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Coat and let it sit. Keep the rusty areas wet with the Kroil.

Bert H.
  13. roundball

roundball Member

I was not unusual to find rifles in this caliber that had been re-chambered to 25-06 or other cartridges with more case capacity. This was serious desecration. Might do well to have the rifle checked out by gunsmith.
  14. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

WD40 is fine for stopping active rust and driving out moisture on the surface of a gun--in fact coating it with motor oil is better than letting it sit unprotected from the air. Remember cosmoline?